Second Skin Audio

First enclosure build. 2x SDC2.5 15's

Chance_P

How's it going guys? This is my first time building an enclosure. I've always just used prefab boxes but have decided to gain some knowledge and put together a half way decent stereo system. Anyways, I figured I would post what I've been up to and see if any of you have any tips or comments. I messaged user Joe X out of the blue and asked him to design an enclosure for me since I don't feel confident in my own abilities and he was generous enough to do it for me. I gave him my max dimensions and what equipment I was using as well as what I wanted the box tuned to and he got back to me with some plans. Here is what I'm putting together.

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 34.5 Hz
Vb = 8 ft^3

External Height = 21 in
External Width = 42 in
External Depth = 25 in

Port Width = 28 in
Port Height = 4 1/2 in

SUVSUPUfull_zps872cf4be.jpg

Tonight I was able to get the bottom and all four sides cut, glued, and screwed together. I used 1 5/8 drywall screws with square heads for assembly. Everything pre drilled and counter sunk. Tomorrow I will work on the baffles, port, and bracing. I have a couple of questions I'd like some opinions on.

-Should I caulk or silicone the inside seams of the box? I was pretty liberal with the glue already.

-What's the cheapest thing to coat the box in to keep moisture away from the wood?

-Should I carpet the box or just sand/fill/paint the outside? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to either method?

-Are there any tips or tricks in the assembly process that any of you have to offer that would make this particular box function or perform better?

-What diameter should I cut the holes in the baffles?

Sorry if any of these questions are n00b-ish. I just want to make sure I do everything the best way possible with this particular box. Thanks for reading guys.

I would use loctite 375 pro I believe it's called on the inside seams. ( never hurts) or could add some 45s to help with airflow an strengthen the box some.

My build

98 s10 2.2

3 american bass HD 15s with psi soft parts. (on there way here)

atomic at-3000.1 (soon) 146.2 outlaw @39hz., bad alt an bad batt when termed (old 2 12" build)

alpine 6.5s in doors

infinty 4x6s in dash.

clarion cz201 HU.

mechman 240a H/O alt

stuff i still need.

SHCA 2/0 wire

SHCA 1/0 to 2/0 adapters

Atomic AT-3000.1

Lots of sound deadner

new mids an highs, still debating on what to do.

A few Deka g31 batts.

Archived