I've always loved r/c, off road and off ground.

08-23-2010010_zps97401ac3.jpg

DSCN1010-Copy.jpg

items018.jpg

12-31-2010001_zps5539c37b.jpg

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
~Henry David Thoreau

• 4 weeks later...

Which do you like better? Gas or the ele? Which has a better speed / torque and run time?

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Electric is a torque monster, electric motors have no power band, 100% of the torque is available from zero rpm to full speed. It's a backflipping wheelie monster. I built it light to keep the electronics happy, 26 pounds ready to run. I have 2 sets of batteries for it. 15 min runtime and 30 minute charge time. You can get charge times down to 15 minutes and run times up to 25 minutes with a larger charger and bigger batteries. The electric is quiet, I can run it up and down my street and chase cars.

Top speeds are about the same.

Runtime is where the gas shines. 35+ minutes a tank. With the twin pipes it sounds like a dirt bike, it's loud! You can't run it around people. I built the gasser out of aluminum, it's heavy, 42 pounds, but the gas motor can pull it. Built lighter, the gas could maintain a higher top speed than the electric. My electric is geared for 50mph. If I gear any faster I have to take breaks to let the motor cool, where as the gas can pull the high speeds all day. The weight doesn't make a difference on torque though, the electric kills it off the line no matter what.

I don't recommend the hpi 5b/5t if you want to get into fifth scale, however. They are solid and fun cars, but with 2wd you just can't put the power to the ground.

Losi makes the 5ive-T and Desert Buggy XL which are 4wd fifth scale monsters. If I were to do it again I'd go Losi.

All told I've got about $2500 into each car.

Archived