Voltage spikes when blipping the throttle?

tacomaguy

my mechman did that.. it would whine like crazy even with no load.. would spike to 15.9.. shorter belt helps with the smaller pulley it comes with

Its charging at idle no worries, will happily power all the stock electronics at idle (measured 45amps with all the lights on), without the voltage dropping below the unloaded voltage (15volts cold, 14.6+ hot)

Its just when at idle (14.6volts) blip the throttle, and it spikes to over 16volts....

excellent, that's exactly what mines doing ;)

I shall try to find a shorter belt, or add another idler pulley in (and a longer belt)

With my spring loaded tensioner released, I had a 2220mm belt length with the stock alternator,

With the aftermarket, I have 2215mm (edit, I typed it wrong), so 5mm shorter.... so, I might get a 10mm shorter belt as it should still fit, and put a bit more tension on it...

Thanks!

An alt shouldn't charge that high if its not designed to?....no matter what, with belt slip or whatever

Idk maybe I'm wrong...I thought they had regulators to not charge past a certain voltage

Yes, the cold voltage is still a bit concerning, but if I can eliminate the voltage spikes, that's at least one thing sorted.

14.6~7volts hot, I can accept.

went for a drive to try and find a shorter belt, came back, and the hot charge voltage was down to 14.4volts.... a bit more realistic...

then I decided to clamp the idle output current.... only got about 85amps... I'd say the belt is slipping pretty badly...

Archived