Sonic Electronix

basically i want to understand what ohm loads are,

i have a 4-ohm alpine type-r (1242D).......powered by a jbl gto1201.1 amp. (2ohm-1114rms max, and 4ohm=787rms max)

i want to know;

*what is ohm load?

*difference between 2ohm and 4ohm(these are the only loads i would use with my set-up)can explain other ohm loads aswell if you like :)

*i have my sub and amp at 4-ohm at the moment, with the amp at 787rms(max the amp is at 4 ohm), i was wondering would it make any difference if i was to wire the sub and amp at 2ohm, and set the gains to 787rms?

thanks for any help people :)

*Alpine Typr-R 12"

*JBL GTO 1200.1 Sub Amp

*Alpine PDX-4.100

*Rockford Fosgate Power 6.5's

*Rockford Fosgate Fanatics 6.5's Both in front doors

*0/1 Guage wiring from front Junction Boxes to 120AH Battery In Boot (battery removed because too small for alternator)

*140 Amp HO Alternator

*Alpine Head Unit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------x------------------------------------------------------------------------------

basically i want to understand what ohm loads are,

i have a 4-ohm alpine type-r (1242D).......powered by a jbl gto1201.1 amp. (2ohm-1114rms max, and 4ohm=787rms max)

i want to know;

*what is ohm load? You have a dual 4 ohm sub... this means it can be wired to 2 or 8 ohms, if both + are connected together to the amp + and the same with -, then your sub is wired to 2ohms. This means ur amp should put out ~600w@2ohms, so that is what ur gain should be set to

*difference between 2ohm and 4ohm(these are the only loads i would use with my set-up)can explain other ohm loads aswell if you like :)If i remember, the length of the vc wire dictates the ohm, the less wire the less resistance and lower ohm #)along with voicecoil material. THe difference between 2 and 4 ohm is that at 2 ohm there is 1/2 as much resistance as 4ohm. different ohm loads just means u need to find a matching amp that puts out the right power at the right ohm load

*i have my sub and amp at 4-ohm at the moment, with the amp at 787rms(max the amp is at 4 ohm), i was wondering would it make any difference if i was to wire the sub and amp at 2ohm, and set the gains to 787rms?

thanks for any help people :)max doesnt mean anything, its about rms, or the amount of continuous power the sub is recieving. ur sub is wired im guessing to 2 ohms actually so u should be using a dmm and setting the gain to 34.6volts with a 60hz test tone @ 75% heaunit volume

if you want more of an explanation go here

http://www.bcae1.com/

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

if you want more of an explanation go here

http://www.bcae1.com/

thanks alot man, i just looked at the manual for my sub, and i used that to set the sub up at 4-ohm, but infact i have only just realised that that was for the dual 2ohm sub, i looked at the dual 4ohm and i infact have it wired at 8ohm!

the amp i have is 1114rms at 2ohm. and 787rms at 4ohm, (it was late when i posted the 1st post, so i put the 'max' in by accident, sorry:))

i want to run 800rms-2ohm (i dont want to over power the sub too much, otherwise i would have the full1114rms)

setting gains i will need to set the gains to 40 volts to achieve this, that would be okay on the subwoofer and amp yea?

the manual says this is how to wire it to 2ohm

type-r2ohmdiagram.jpg

so if i wire it like that, and set the gains to 40volts i will have 800rms at 2 ohm yeah?

cheers for the help :) much appreciated guys!!

*Alpine Typr-R 12"

*JBL GTO 1200.1 Sub Amp

*Alpine PDX-4.100

*0/1 Guage wiring from front Junction Boxes to 120AH Battery In Boot (battery removed because too small for alternator)

*140 Amp HO Alternator

*Alpine Head Unit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------x------------------------------------------------------------------------------

omg, i just connected the subwoofer up like in that picture above, and set the gains to 40 volts (800rms @2ohm, and the woofer is moving sooo much more than before!

i had a little play around on that calculator site, and if i did have the sub wired at 8ohm i was oly using 395ish rms (56.1volts)

this is a video of before i set it at 2ohm 800rms,

*Alpine Typr-R 12"

*JBL GTO 1200.1 Sub Amp

*Alpine PDX-4.100

*140 Amp HO Alternator

*Alpine Head Unit

looks like it should now...

sounds loud!

what size box is that and tuning?

The box is 3 cubic foot, and tuned to 33Hz.

i have made another video, i have a Alpine head-unit, i have volume set on 22(goes up to 35) bass on -6, subwoofer on +15, but there is a real bad smell inside the car, and there was smoke coming from the port hole :( i took the sub out of the box, and it stunk, so i put it back in and i turned the 'subwoofer' on the HU down to +10. i had it going for a few songs with my head over the woofer smelling, and over the port smelling that air, i didnt smell any 'burning' with it on +10.

i've been told that the sub can handle 1000rms (even though its rated for 500rms) so i have it at 800rms why was this 'burning' happening,....it's the voice coils burning yeah?

i've only had the woofer a few months, so does it sorta need to 'wear'/'break' in or somethig?

cheers!

*Alpine Typr-R 12"

*JBL GTO 1200.1 Sub Amp

*Alpine PDX-4.100

*140 Amp HO Alternator

*Alpine Head Unit

Archived