Sonic Electronix

how to calculate how much ah you need for your amp

This is one of those questions that you are going to get alot of different answers to.

Personally I like to take the alternator out of the equation and figure out how much battery power it would take to run my amp/s with the vehicle off. Figuring it this way will be overkill, but that is what has lead me to 30 14v XS batteries.

With XS Power I dont pay as much attention to the ah ratings as I do the batteries wattage rating. I usually take what the company rates the battery to handle and cut it in half so I give myself extra head room for reserve capacity that will allow me to play longer.

So lets say I am planning a 5kw system and amp planning to use the D3100s that are rated for 4000w/5000w+. What I want for battery power is going to be enough to technically support double the power I am running. So taking the 5kw rating of the D3100 and cutting it in half to 2500w, I would need 4 D3100s to give me enough battery power for my 5kw system.

I know there is no math to back up what I am saying, but my experience using this method has proven to work.

Good lord. (4) d3100's for 5k? I guess it does work. Lol.

As a general rule of thumb (and a starting point)... I always say RMS of the system divided by 10 is how much amperage you need.

2,000w = 2,000/10 = 200A

Your alt counts in there so you'd need a 100A alt and 100Ah of batt.

Obviously your alt won't provide all 100A to the system and it's not a perfect calculation, but there's a fudge factor built in and it's just a reference.

This is exactly how i do my needs. And, what i do quickly in my head when some asks about reserve, or fusing need. I do the divide by 10 deal also.

When looking at bats, i look only at amp hours.

Just my own way of doing it.... :shrug:

Archived