Please check my wiring diagram

Hey guys, I picked up a used hifonics zrx2000.1d from a guy locally today for $150 and he threw in a free Stinger spp680, so I installed it today with the amp. I know I should replace the 4ga I have with some 1 or 0 gauge, but other than that, is there anything else wrong with my wiring setup? Do I need to fuse the 8ga wire even though its only 6 inches long? Thanks guys!

EDIT: black squares are distribution blocks

wiring.jpg

My understanding was that i should have a fuse between the rear battery and the run of power from the front incase the wire shorts out. Is that not correct? This amp doesnt have fuses so i will pick up another fuse for between the second batt and hifonics amp. My impatience got the better of me today and i had to hook it all up, so i figured the fuse before the rear batt was more important. If i put 150 amp fuses on the 4ga wire will they pop since my hifonics amp is 2000rms at 1ohm?

My understanding was that i should have a fuse between the rear battery and the run of power from the front incase the wire shorts out. Is that not correct? This amp doesnt have fuses so i will pick up another fuse for between the second batt and hifonics amp. My impatience got the better of me today and i had to hook it all up, so i figured the fuse before the rear batt was more important. If i put 150 amp fuses on the 4ga wire will they pop since my hifonics amp is 2000rms at 1ohm?

best way is to add up the numbers on fuses plugged into the amp if its lower than 150 you should be fine

First, did you look up or have amp specs? They should list fuse sizes needed, no?

Your 2nd fuse serves you no purpose because there is already one between front battery and everything else.

At minimum I would fuse between 2nd battery and amp, and add one somewhere on the 8 ga wire.

What is the rating on your alternator?

So if my power wire grounds out, the front fuse pops, and the rear battery has juice in it, what would stop the power from traveling back through the power wire from the second batt to where the power grounded? Or are you saying it doesnt matter?

The amp calls for a 200 amp fuse. I will definitely add one between the second batt and amp tomorrow. I know the 4gauge is too small for this fuse size but itll have to do for a little while. Im mainly just concerend with why the fuse right before the second battery is "useless"?

Also, since my hifonics calls for a 200amp, and i also have a smaller soundstream amp in the mix, should i upgrade the front fuse to something bigger than 200?

There should be a fuse as close to each battery as possible. There should be a fuse in front of each amp. In your set up, your 8 ga wire is the weak link. It could melt and start a fire before the 200A fuse blew. Same is probably true for your 4 ga wire.

If your amp will draw more than 150 amps then 4ga wire is too small. At best 4 ga wire is good for up to 150 amps in the right conditions.

Thanks for the clear answer funky. So whats the worse case scenerio with the 4ga wiring im running if its fused at 200amps before the battery and between battery and amp? Im hoping i can get away with it for a couple weeks while my gain is low during woofer break-in.

Assuming the 8ga will never short, will it still be able to melt since ive only got a small amp hooked to it? Its honestly probably only a 3 inch piece from the distribution block to the amp.

You are PROBABLY fine in both cases. But worst case, if your amp wants to draw 200 amps, and you have a fuse that is good for 200 amps, and you have wire that is only good for at best 150 amps, the wire gets really hot, melting the jacket and catching things on fire. Again, that's worst case and probably won't happen, but could, and has happened to some.

We are only talking fuses here but in the broader category of your vehicles electrical system there is a lot more to consider.

Archived