Second Skin Audio

1 ohm sub on a 2 ohm amp

danford1

I'm new to this forum. This is my first question here.

I have an old 1967 Ford Falcon with very limited space for a sub due to other characteristics on the car build.

Presently I have a system with only a Pioneer head unit and speakers, no amp.

It sounds good for what it is. I have 2 6X9 Kicker speakers in the rear deck and I added a 6 1/2" dual voice coil woofer in between them.

Yes I know this isn't the proper way to do things. Remember my statement about limited space? OK. here is my question area.

Since I can only fit a 6 1/2" sub in this car (which can't be very deep as I'm limited to mounting depth) I started searching for a replacement speaker for my center POS woofer. Yes I can fit a SMALL amp in here for the sub. I found a Kicker 6 3/4"" sub model 10CVT651

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vnn0LTe3sor/p_206CVT651/Kicker-10CVT651.html

This is a sub designed for free air mounting with a shallow depth. Exactly what I need for this application. It is a 1 ohm sub.

I already have a 2 ohm amp.

My question is how can I increase the impedance of the sub from 1 ohm to 2 ohms so i don't blow the amp?

I know the obvious response is to hook 2 of the 1 ohm speakers in series but remember my limited space requirements? I can't do that.

Is it as simple as wiring a 1 ohm resistor in series with a speaker lead?

Look, I'm not trying to rattle the house windows when I drive by. I'm not trying to win and competitions. I just want a little more bass than my current set up. I fully know and understand a 6 3/4" sub isn't going to put out much but I also know it will sound better than no amp/sub at all.

My other choice would be a flat 8" powered ready built sub I can slip under the front seat. i haven't heard any good reports on those though...

What can I do with a 1 ohm sub and a 2 ohm amp ? (Besides buy a 1 ohm amp).

Danford1

Sorry to say but your best and only real option is to either get a woofer that is 2ohms or more. Or an amp that is stable at 1ohm.

Wiring a resistor in series can create some issue. Technically it will be a final 2ohm load but the resistor is not reactive like the woofer. The resistor will heat up.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion