voltage spike help help help basshead down

Hey guys so recently put in my new alt 320amp and voltage is all over the place I been reading around that my car might be pcm controlled so I was thinking if I bypass it to an internal regulator it may fix my problems if so how can I do it and my car is a 2001 Buick park avenue help help help

Ok back up.

Describe exactly what's happening. How are you measuring voltage? What does it normally read? What does it spike/drop to? Is there anything you can do to cause/replicate the issue?

there should be a small skinny wire that comes off the alt that leads to the pcm to the ignition switch I think the wire is called your field wire you can run it straight to the pos post on the alt that might be your problem buddy

[media][/media]

I have 2 stinger volt meters in front with me they will be at 14.4 then go to 13.8 then up then lower 13s its not stable and as soon as I put my new alt my battery light comes on in my gauges I put a dmm on my battery it reads just fine 14.6 or 14.7 but my voltage reader is connect to my alt it some times it feels like its going to die and for battery's I have a xs d3400 in front and d3100in trunk fully charged

there should be a small skinny wire that comes off the alt that leads to the pcm to the ignition switch I think the wire is called your field wire you can run it straight to the pos post on the alt that might be your problem buddy

No. No.no. NONONONONONO. NO!!!!!!

If you do that you'll run the alt full field and get some serious runaway voltage problems. Things will go boom the second you start the car

So your stinger meters are reading erratically but your DMM doesn't?

I guess I was wrong I have seen ppl take there field wire from the connector pin on the alt and connect it straight off the pos post thnx snowdrifter I was tryin to help glad you seen my post bud

[media][/media]

have you tried to reset your car I had that same prob with my 2000 chevy cavalier and I removed the ign or the batt1 or batt 2 fuses and all of a sudden it was reading at the right voltage cus my alt was only reading out 11.8 volts

[media][/media]

Archived