Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

New box design for BL 18!?!?


Brandonbkd

Recommended Posts

Posted

So someone designed me a box a while back and it looked like it was gonna work out good. Well after a few weeks of listening to it, I could clearly tell I could'nt play lows to save my life. Well it turns out the port area is wayyyy too freaking big (17.33 sq in per cube) so I've been bottoming my sub out like crazy. I've got a BL 18 running on a SQ 2200 at 0.7 ohm putting out roughly 2200w. I need the box to be 20 x 41 x 23.125 (H x W x D) as I am going to reuse the baffle from the old box.

This is the old box and I'd like it to be exactly like this. Sub up/port back as it is going in my explorer sport.

18supb_zps18fd5e15.jpg

FI BL18 Build Log: CLICK HERE!!

2003 Explorer Sport:

FI BL18

SoundQubed 2200 at 0.7ohm

Pioneer DEH-2500UI

Pioneer 6 x 8s

Rockford Fosgate 6 x 9s

5 ft^3 box at 35hz

Lots of Mega Mat

SkyHighCarAudio_zpse6b4e501.png3abb2365-8d29-422d-a446-efa7a74b8dba_zps70e62980.jpgFILogo_zps400b37c1.jpg

Posted

No lows and its tuned to 32? Wtf?

What frequency are you bottoming out at?

Posted

Probably right at 29 or 30...would changing the port to about 5in wide and shortening it a little make it better?

FI BL18 Build Log: CLICK HERE!!

2003 Explorer Sport:

FI BL18

SoundQubed 2200 at 0.7ohm

Pioneer DEH-2500UI

Pioneer 6 x 8s

Rockford Fosgate 6 x 9s

5 ft^3 box at 35hz

Lots of Mega Mat

SkyHighCarAudio_zpse6b4e501.png3abb2365-8d29-422d-a446-efa7a74b8dba_zps70e62980.jpgFILogo_zps400b37c1.jpg

Posted

It would cut down on your port area, but would also make your box bigger.

Posted

I'm really good at building boxes...but not so good at designing then :/ you mind designing one? Or telling someone I need some help with one? :D

FI BL18 Build Log: CLICK HERE!!

2003 Explorer Sport:

FI BL18

SoundQubed 2200 at 0.7ohm

Pioneer DEH-2500UI

Pioneer 6 x 8s

Rockford Fosgate 6 x 9s

5 ft^3 box at 35hz

Lots of Mega Mat

SkyHighCarAudio_zpse6b4e501.png3abb2365-8d29-422d-a446-efa7a74b8dba_zps70e62980.jpgFILogo_zps400b37c1.jpg

Posted

Contact Ram Designs or BHE or something on FB. Avoid ground pounder customs though. I'd give you a box but I don't do designs for people. Liability for me. What if I give you a box and something's not right? Bust your sub? Box can't handle the power or is too small and the sub doesn't cool? Etc.

Boxes are pretty easy though. Download Torres and play around. I've had some boxes that sound better than others, but none have been a complete flop so far :)

Posted

Yea I understand where you're coming from. I've got Torres and have been playing around on the for a bit. I'll post up some ideas before I make any final decisions

FI BL18 Build Log: CLICK HERE!!

2003 Explorer Sport:

FI BL18

SoundQubed 2200 at 0.7ohm

Pioneer DEH-2500UI

Pioneer 6 x 8s

Rockford Fosgate 6 x 9s

5 ft^3 box at 35hz

Lots of Mega Mat

SkyHighCarAudio_zpse6b4e501.png3abb2365-8d29-422d-a446-efa7a74b8dba_zps70e62980.jpgFILogo_zps400b37c1.jpg

Posted

Yeah man sounds good. Once you do 2 or 3 boxes you start to get a gut feel of where things should be ;)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 847 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...