Sonic Electronix

Amp turns on without ground, need assistance ASAP!!

Alright, for some reason, my amp turns on without a ground. I first thought maybe it was touching metal or something, but its not. Then, I hooked the amp up to my buddies truck and the amp played fine, no issues. Then, we hooked up my buddies amp to my truck, and if the RCAs were plugged in, then it would go into protect mode, just like mine would. Then, we swapped RCA cables, with 4 different sets. Same result every time. So I plugged in some RCA cables to the amp, but the other end wasn't plugged into anything. Still goes into protect. I re ran my ground wire (note that it isn't a bad ground because it was turning on with this wire at all!), then I reran my power wire. Then, I tried to see if maybe my remote wire was grounding out. So, I jumped a new jumper wire from the power to the remote, with the ground wire unhooked. It still turned on. So I ran a new remote wire too, and still the same issue.

So the wiring is good, the amp is good, and the head unit appears to not have anything to do with the issue, since my remote wire wasn't hooked up to it and my RCAs weren't plugged into the back of it and the problem was still there. My amp works in my buddies vehicle, but not mine. Same goes for his amp. How could my RCAs be grounding out in my vehicle, but not in his?

1989 Dodge D150, 318 LA; Holley Fuel InjectionBuild Log:http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/72838-dc-dodge-d150-blowthrough-thread-updated-pics-fixed-2-level-4-15s-wlvl-5-coils/Truck Add-ons: 20" rims2/4 drop15% tintBucket seatsK&N air filterSmog Pump deleteStereoWORK IN PROGRESS2 DC Level 4 15s with Level 5 Coils1 Audiopipe AP15001D (Soon to be a Crescendo BC3500)JBL 650W amp (unsure of model)4 6x9 Rockford Prime 3 ways2 Soundstream TWS.4 Dome tweetersKnuKonceptz 1/0 Power Wire

*3 Kinetik 2400s and a Mechman 270A alt in the future*

Not sure if I read that correctly but..

You plugged the RCA's in before you grounded the amp?

That's never a good thing. The amp will try to ground through the RCA's possibly screwing up your HU and god knows what else.

Unless I accidentally hooked up my RCAs without the ground while I was frantically trying to solve the problem lol, I don't really see how that could cause this problem, because I initially had nothing but the power and remote wire plugged in alone. Thats actually how I noticed that it was on without a ground. Do you have any suggestions for me to try and troubleshoot anything like my head unit maybe?

1989 Dodge D150, 318 LA; Holley Fuel InjectionBuild Log:http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/72838-dc-dodge-d150-blowthrough-thread-updated-pics-fixed-2-level-4-15s-wlvl-5-coils/Truck Add-ons: 20" rims2/4 drop15% tintBucket seatsK&N air filterSmog Pump deleteStereoWORK IN PROGRESS2 DC Level 4 15s with Level 5 Coils1 Audiopipe AP15001D (Soon to be a Crescendo BC3500)JBL 650W amp (unsure of model)4 6x9 Rockford Prime 3 ways2 Soundstream TWS.4 Dome tweetersKnuKonceptz 1/0 Power Wire

Well, I would start from square one.

Usually, you connect the Power, ground and remote. The final thing would be to install the fuse to complete the circuit. RCA's are the first out and the LAST in.

Make sure you have good, clean ground connections. Sanded if they are to the chassis. Also you should not have power in the remote wire with the car off therefore the amp should not turn on anyways. Unless you had the car on while installing it which you should not.

If you in fact DID connect the RCA's while there was no ground. I would check all of your fuses and RCA's themselves. Make sure everything is fine. If after that the amp still is not working It may be damaged and need to be looked at.

I figured it out finally. My negative speaker wire got pinched on some metal and it ended up grounding out the whole amp. I had to pull my port out to get to it lol

Archived