That's a bunch of playboys.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

A custom z18 as if the original wasn't expensive enough. I've also never seen a sq car with an 18. Interested to see what becomes of this

They are basically all custom though.. you decide fully how you want it, they are all made to order. Spider stiffness, impedance +++ are free to choose from. Composite cone is extra though, carbon dustcap is standard issue on Z subs.

Pictures of the mighty Z 418 are few and far between, but I found a video showing its massive size over even the regular Z (3"VC). Looks like the paper cone broke, a Z should be ordered with a composite cone, at least when its one of the bigger ones like 15" and 18". But I guess they found that out themselves :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have now sold part of the system to make room for new and improved items. Gone are the 5" Focal subs and the compact 4 channel Focal amp powering them. I've bought two Mosconi Zero 1 amps to replace the small Focal, and will probably get another Zero 1 to replace the Sony. I need the space :) And the Mosconis are a great mix of super sound quality and great power in a (comparatively) small package.

It took only a long drive without subs to confirm that this won't do, even just for the time being while I collect the new gear and plan the install. So I built a new false floor:

IMG_4139_zps95f7806c.jpg

and I found two Focal Utopia 7w2 mids in a closet at home (almost forgot I had these) that could work as subs for the time being. They are closer to 8" in reality, and has decent output for a SQ car in the right box. So I used the scrap mdf I had laying around to form a box. When using the available width and height, this was the approx size of the box, for a total of 40L internal volume:

IMG_4137_zpsc91e36aa.jpg

Used my Bosch router with Jasper Jig to cut out the holes for speakers:

IMG_4143_zps5cdaafeb.jpg

Earlier this year I bought this amazing Festool track saw for my sign business, but it is a dream to use for cutting MDF as well, it is SO precise its almost silly.

IMG_4144_zpsd285b10b.jpg

IMG_4145_zpscc02b63b.jpg

I made a center divider to add some rigidity, as the top and bottom parts are only 12mm mdf, rest is 19mm (was low on scraps :P )

IMG_4146_zpse82a7b4b.jpg

I needed something to protect the speakers and I had no grilles available, so I made this solution to attach a loading plate to the box:

IMG_4147_zps12725601.jpg

I did have some 8mm acrylic, so I cut that to size to both protect speakers, and for them to load off of.

IMG_4148_zpsd308a79c.jpg

Looked a little bland, so I cut a vinyl Focal logo sized to the acrylic and put that on the front.

IMG_4152_zpsb80cb002.jpg

Now for a question.. I need a decent alternator for my car now that the demand for power is increasing, but what should I choose? It needs to be from a company that deliver quality products and have good communication, since shipping faulty products back and forth across the globe is pretty expensive.. Any suggestions? Anything over 200A is plenty, stock alt is 90A. Having 100A extra should be more than enough. No need for 300A+ monster alts :)

I'm digging the paint color and the cleanliness of the install is pretty amazing.

Neat idea with the acrylic in front of the speakers.

Keep up the good work!

Dorm room setup:

SQ SDC2.5 12" @ 8 ohms

Klipsch 300 watt home theater sub amp

Marantz 1030 amplifier

Future car build:

Audio Technix 1200.1d

Fi SSD 12 w/ cooling and flatwind coil

6th order dual reflex enclosure

Hey Haakon i've been meaning to send you a PM on talkaudio but seeing as i'm signed in here:

I properly love this build, mainly because its a blue mk3 golf with those hella rear lights!

Drop me a PM if you need any info on OEM alternators for the mk3 as there are a few ways you can do it. I'd be happy to send you a few pictures of mine :)

Daniel Brill-Edwards - Representing English Bassheads!!

Old Build Log - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/94637-vw-golf-mk3-1996-build-from-england/

New build coming soon with SMD V1 #99

YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/brilledwards

Archived