Second Skin Audio

Suggestions for a box design DD subs

RooTxBeeR

I am looking at getting 2 DD 512b's, Was wanting to see what some of the DD fans would think to be a good starting area. I want to have a good response range of course. THey will be getting powered by a AQ 750.1. I am going to go get a few sheets of some plywood, and build several boxes to test out, I would like to see some suggestions where I could start from. Maybe help find a good spot faster than making wild guesses. The main reson I am really looking for some help, is the fact I have seen a lot of veterans tell people to tune some DD set up's in the high 30's and still be able to wang into the 20's with authority. So just interested in some suggestions, thanks in advance.

ALong with all that, I have another question. I have seen a lot of talk lately about port area, and the guide of port area per foot really doesn't stand for much, you need to set the port area by what the woofer needs. How about do i find out that with the T/S specs of the speaker? Would like to be able to make some designs on my own time.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

usually when you wanna find a good amount of port area, you input sd, xmax, and tuning (fb).

I usually use this site for finding port area
http://portsgalore.stefanhinote.com/?do=portarea

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

usually when you wanna find a good amount of port area, you input sd, xmax, and tuning (fb).

I usually use this site for finding port area

http://portsgalore.stefanhinote.com/?do=portarea

What is sd exactly? I seen it before and I forgot. And the tuning it's asking for is the box tuning correct?

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Surface diameter of the woofer.

Yes, which is why I mentioned fb, which stands for the tuning of the box.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Ok thanks, I am also looking at what the DD site is suggesting, pretty easy to use following their quidlines.

Edit: Lol how the fuck do you get sd, googling isn't helping to much lmao.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Ok thanks, I am also looking at what the DD site is suggesting, pretty easy to use following their quidlines.

Usually when I wanna find sd, I look at another woofer that looks similar on Parts express, because they usually list it, like a 15' usually have an sd of 820 or something like that.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

Usually when I wanna find sd, I look at another woofer that looks similar on Parts express, because they usually list it, like a 15' usually have an sd of 820 or something like that.

Cool thanks, will check that out.

Edit: Got the sd, around 1000. Now my problem, I don't have the Xmax of the subs. on full suspension travel. Isn't Xmax dfifrent? It's telling me I need A LOT of port lmao. Around 400sq in

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Yeah, kinda annoys me most companies(well except American Bass and Fi), doesn't list SD

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

Anyone know the Xmax of a DD512b?

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Says suspension travel is 50 mm, I'm thinking that's peak to peak though

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

Archived