DC Sound Lab

"Level 5" in a sealed box?

I have 2 custom subs that consist of HDC3 motors with Level 5 softparts. I was considering trying them in a sealed box due to a lack of space in my trunk, but was curious why the Level 2,3, and 4's all have sealed box recommendations and the XL,5, and 6's don't? Is it because of the suspensions being to stiff or something else? Would it completely fail in a sealed box

TDH FTW !!!

Its likely that the EBP isn't really great for that particular sub. The EBP refers to Efficiency Bandwidth Product and is calculated by Fs/Qes. If this number is 50 or less, sealed us the optimum environment for that sub. A range between 50-90 and the sub will work well sealed or ported. 90 and above you're looking at a ported enclosure as being most effective for that sub. Typically if a sub is good in a sealed box, it will also perform well in a well designed 4th order bandpass.

And since you aren't running the same motor as the Level 5, you don't have the same T/S specs.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

• 2 months later...