Sundown Audio

Already ordered my SAX1200D, but I can't figure out which subs are going to be my best bet. I'm working with between 2.4 and 2.7 cubes (2.4's a simple box, 2.7's a bit more complex in terms of shape). I could give the box a few more inches of depth but I'd really like to work with less room. The box dimensions can be (its a wedge) 12.45h x 44w x 11d1x 7d2. w and h are not negotiable. It's in my grocery getter so I need to maximize space left after this, but I can push the box out to a d1 of 14" and d2 10", if I feel something is really worth it. This is going in a 2006 Saab 9-7x (aka Envoy/Trailblazer).

It looks like I can fit 6" sub depth at the top corner at the max if I'm mounting centered from top to bottom which I'd prefer. Since I haven't chosen a sub yet, I haven't picked the type of box, ported or sealed. There are a bunch of configurations of box/sub/type that will work (also taking into consideration I already have the amp, so keeping to 1200 watts give or take). I don't know which of those combo's will be the smarter choice.

4 E-8's ported

4 E-10's sealed

4 SD-8's ported

2 SD-10's ported

2 SD-12's sealed

2 SA-10's ported (would have to give the box and inch of depth extra to make the 6" have a little clearance behind it)

Not really sure which option makes sense but I need to pick a sub so I can have the box designed around it. Would appreciate some input on what might work best for my application.

Edited by elderain

Yeah SA's ported would be my choice. But that's cause I can't stand sealed. Lol what type of music and bass do you listen to?

02 Lexus IS300 (2JZ FTW)

Mids/Highs: JL Audio C5 6.5s all around

Mids/Highs Amp: JL Audio HD 600/4

Subs: four SA-8v2s in 3.8cubes @ 32hz

Sub Amps: SAZ3k

Battery: Huge Interstate Batteries relocated to trunk

About 80ft. of 1/0 OFC....

Head Unit: Pioneer 4200NEX

Yeah SA's ported would be my choice. But that's cause I can't stand sealed. Lol what type of music and bass do you listen to?

I listen to primarily EDM, and Rock/Punk. I've never had a ported system yet so I'm not that familiar with the difference in sound (I understand how they work though).

From research I gather that if I was analyzing 2 E-8's vs 2 SD-8's vs 2-SA-8's I would know the choice is easy, but I don't know how to judge this so well when comparing things like 4 E-8's to 2 SA-10's. When comparing similars (2 SA-8's vs 1 SA-10) I know I can look at cone area to see what's moving the most air. I don't understand the technical side of things like motor, spiders, baskets, and how they affect my comparisons. I also don't know how sealed vs ported will affect the judgement of which is better for my situation.

Edited by elderain

Sounds like sealed would be better for you. Ported boxes produce (sometimes) louder and lower response and aren't as peaky as sealed. But for rock I like seale because of the faster response and tighter sound. So I'd go with sealed, and 4 subs should technically be louder but without the right amount of space for 4 then it won't be as loud as you thought. Usually anyways.

02 Lexus IS300 (2JZ FTW)

Spiders and baskets are important but nothing to keep tabs on unless you're really into car audio or it's a part of your career, or you're educated about em

02 Lexus IS300 (2JZ FTW)

Sounds like sealed would be better for you. Ported boxes produce (sometimes) louder and lower response and aren't as peaky as sealed. But for rock I like seale because of the faster response and tighter sound. So I'd go with sealed, and 4 subs should technically be louder but without the right amount of space for 4 then it won't be as loud as you thought. Usually anyways.

I have enough room for the E-8's and the SD-8's (at least for 4 of them). From what I read the SA's aren't that great in sealed applications, how much truth is there to that? SA-8's are deeper than the SA-10's so I cant run 4 SA-8's, but I could run 4 SA-10's in sealed if it was the best option but that would hurt my wallet :) I haven't seen much conversation about which would be better for a sealed application in regards to SD's vs E's (but from the site alone, it sounds like the SD is a step closer to SA's versus the E's. I dont know what sub qualities make something better for a certain box type.

I could also build a sealed box myself (at least confidently) whereas I might farm out something that has more than basic LxWxD dimensions :)

Edited by elderain

Well it looks like my choices got narrowed down a bit. I didn't realize the SD-2 8's didn't come in a D2 like all the others, just a D4 so I can't run 4 at 1ohm.

I guess my choice is between 2 SA-10's and 4 E-8's. Looks like they work out to be almost exactly the same cost. Either would be running in a ported box.

My gf has 2 E8v3's in a ported box. I believe 1.5ish cubes tuned to 35Hz. She listens to country, rap, hip-hop, dub step, rock, pretty much everything. To me they sound great. They hit the lows very well, especially for 8's and are definitely punchy for rock and country. I have a single SA-12 in a 2 ft^3 box at 32Hz and it sounds amazing as well. I would assume that the SA-10's would perform quite similar to the SA-12.

IMO I would go with 4 8's though. It would sound very clean in the proper box and will definitely get loud.

Then I'm not sure cause I know the SA's are built for quality over straight SPL and I know that just one SA10 can be crazy, I'd go with the SA but I would probably get the 8s to experiment and just see how they are, how they sound.

02 Lexus IS300 (2JZ FTW)