Second Skin Audio

RE SX 18 gets hot

Devilsniper

RE SX 18 dual 2 parallel into RF T1000. I'm kind of lost right now. No matter what size box I throw at this thing the dust cap gets hot after playing it for a few minutes at full tilt; I have gone from compact (I know they love bigger than spec boxes) 5.5 ^3 to almost 10 ^3 after port and woofer displacement. Same issue every time I believe its the newer "Chinese" made but honestly don't know how to tell the difference. the port has been almost every frequency from 27 Hz to 45Hz, port volume being from a 4" aeroport all the way to a 100^2 inch square port no common walls. Can anyone suggest something constructive to keep it from getting hot? The amps gain was set using a DMM @ 22.36V going by V=√WxΩ. Thanks for looking!

99 Navi C-Pillar Wall

2 Sundown Audio Zv4 18's D1

PPI components

1 Rockford Fosgate power T400.4

1 Crescendo 5500 (for now, another later)

3 XS Power 3400's

AlphaNav double din HU

If its not the re pro models its the new Chinese styles. The re pro models are made the exact same way as the old re's where. (From what I have read and understood)

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Supposedly the SX(18" only I'm referring to) is, and has always been made in the US. That's what I believe I've seen on their site in the past. You set your gain with a DMM, I doubt your box is the issue. My guess is that youre sending a clipped signal since you didn't O scope to know where your signal starts to square off. My suggestion is finding someone with a DD1 or scope to set the gain properly.

I agree with the below message as well, referring to thermal vs. mechanical handling and behavior.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Why do you have it set at 22 volts? 22 volts at 1 ohm is 500 watts. Dual 2 ohm in parallel, shouldn't that be 1000 watts at 1 ohm? That would be 31.6 volts. Did I miss something?

95+% of your power is wasted as heat. Cap will get pretty darn warm - does not matter what box. Enclosure is more of a mechanical power handling issue, not thermal (if the drivers thermal power handling is not exaggerated).

Do you smell coil glue burning, or just hot cap?

If you really DMM'd at 22 volts correctly, that sub should not have any issues.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Why do you have it set at 22 volts? 22 volts at 1 ohm is 500 watts. Dual 2 ohm in parallel, shouldn't that be 1000 watts at 1 ohm? That would be 31.6 volts. Did I miss something?

95+% of your power is wasted as heat. Cap will get pretty darn warm - does not matter what box. Enclosure is more of a mechanical power handling issue, not thermal (if the drivers thermal power handling is not exaggerated).

Do you smell coil glue burning, or just hot cap?

If you really DMM'd at 22 volts correctly, that sub should not have any issues.

Your absolutely right when I was doing the math originally for some reason I had .5 ohm stuck in my head and that is how I got the 22V never changed it figured it was "safer" lol. Yes I also smell the coils. I know.... you guys are preaching to the choir about an o-scope or a DD-1(oscilloscope crapped out on me about a year after warranty expired and never got another one) SMD triple pack in the works later this year ;). Right now everyone I know they don't have either two friends have TL's though go figure.

99 Navi C-Pillar Wall

2 Sundown Audio Zv4 18's D1

PPI components

1 Rockford Fosgate power T400.4

1 Crescendo 5500 (for now, another later)

3 XS Power 3400's

AlphaNav double din HU

Archived