Second Skin Audio

port specs help

corey7733

i have a 2000 s10 ext cab. bought it with 2 15"subs in a custom box behind the seat. tigghttt fit. one sub crapped out so im just going to use 1 sub.

i dont have any experience building ported boxes. i took all the measurements off the old box., just pretty much cut it in half and put the sub and port in the side instead of the top

subbox.png

the old box had a round port in between the 2 subs. i would like to have a rectangular port this time.

i have no idea how to tune a box/port.

the sub is a 15" hcca orion competition series. i plan to be running roughly 1000 watts to it.

i love loud bass and listen to alott of stuff. rock, rap, hip hop, some country. highs and mids are all focal components and amplified so im good there.

if some one could just throw me some rough numbers to get a decent port in my box it would be be muchly appreciated. i dont even know where to start with the port numbers. i tried reading up on some stuff but it seems difficult for me to get my head around it

Your port area is horrendous. I would suggest instead of building the way pictured, and this is assuming you are trying to fit underneath a seat, to put the sub facing the front of the truck and port shooting into the pillar.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

id like to try to stay within the box dimensions i used in my pic i posted. this is with the seats all the way back and just high enough to still see my voltmeter on top of my stinger caps, there mounted where the pull out back seat used to be

You need around 100 in2 of port area to satisfy that sub.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

Your port area is horrendous. I would suggest instead of building the way pictured, and this is assuming you are trying to fit underneath a seat, to put the sub facing the front of the truck and port shooting into the pillar.

subbox2.png

like this?

Yes, that orientation. May want to make the sub/port on different sides of the truck of each other.

Archived