Sundown Audio

help deciding on 4th order subs

So im looking to do a 4th order with 2 18s at the c pillar and i want it to be a good low end demo car while not loosing the high end so i figure why not give a 4th order a try. Now im deciding between x 18s and zv3 18s. I have about 21cbft to work with and im aiming for atleast a 2:1 ratio, but with the x 18s having a suggested sealed side of 4cbft per woofer, i cant do a 2:1 with suggested specs and with zv3s having a suggested sealed volume of 3cbft per woofer itd obviously be a lot easy to get atleast a 2:1 ratio. Heres where i run into trouble...... even with a sealed side 1cbft less than it needs to be, the X 18s play lower, higher and peak louder according to winisd. The have an low end f3 of 25 and a high end f3 of 80, while the zv3 18s are at 29-70. Also the X 18 peak frequency is 1.8db higher ( not that thats a big difference). Even though it seems like theyll play better, should i not put the X 18s in too small of a box? Also, im pretty set on doing a 4th order

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

Zv4s all day!!! ;D

02 Lexus IS300 (2JZ FTW)

Mids/Highs: JL Audio C5 6.5s all around

Mids/Highs Amp: JL Audio HD 600/4

Subs: four SA-8v2s in 3.8cubes @ 32hz

Sub Amps: SAZ3k

Battery: Huge Interstate Batteries relocated to trunk

About 80ft. of 1/0 OFC....

Head Unit: Pioneer 4200NEX

Any sub will do what you need, just pick any brand you like and get what you need.

So dont listen to winisd? Id be pretty bummed if i spent the money on zv3s and time and money a 4th order wall and them not play as well as the X's or the other way around

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

I wouldn't go that far and say that...from experience, I had one box that I had an RE, a kicker, a Rockford (current), and an HDC3, and they all performed differently, RE was best at lows but was also punchy, kicker was better at higher bass notes and got louder than I expected, AQ was the loudest but didn't get low enough and it was peaky, and the Rockford has the flattest response, gets decently low, and is decently loud, just has the best quality, so you gotta narrow it down a little more than "any sub will work for what you want it to if you do it right" cause you can tune your box to 24Hz just so you can hit lows but then you could get peakiness or it could be terrible at everything except 24Hz. You never know until you do it and try it, then play around with it and then you will ind what you like. Oh and Dylan I got a surprise for you!

02 Lexus IS300 (2JZ FTW)

Mids/Highs: JL Audio C5 6.5s all around

Mids/Highs Amp: JL Audio HD 600/4

Subs: four SA-8v2s in 3.8cubes @ 32hz

Sub Amps: SAZ3k

Battery: Huge Interstate Batteries relocated to trunk

About 80ft. of 1/0 OFC....

Head Unit: Pioneer 4200NEX

I wouldn't go that far and say that...from experience, I had one box that I had an RE, a kicker, a Rockford (current), and an HDC3, and they all performed differently, RE was best at lows but was also punchy, kicker was better at higher bass notes and got louder than I expected, AQ was the loudest but didn't get low enough and it was peaky, and the Rockford has the flattest response, gets decently low, and is decently loud, just has the best quality, so you gotta narrow it down a little more than "any sub will work for what you want it to if you do it right" cause you can tune your box to 24Hz just so you can hit lows but then you could get peakiness or it could be terrible at everything except 24Hz. You never know until you do it and try it, then play around with it and then you will ind what you like. Oh and Dylan I got a surprise for you!

Yeah i fell the same way about what he said, seemed kinda sketchy no offense skullz, but idk im probably gonna have bassheads ent design the 4th order for me and ill probably do the zv3s so i can add power later if i want. But whats this surprise you speak of? Youve got me excited

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

I simply meant that there are no 4th, 6th or any order subs out there.

There are ported and sealed spec'ed subs, either they have an extra stiff suspension for sealed applications or suspensions tuned for porting.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2