Sundown Audio

CEA 2006 Compliance

ncochran

Does CEA 2006 Compliance mean that the amp WILL make rated power at rated voltage?

I imagine that some companies don't bother with getting the certification because they don't need it (Sundown, DD, AQ, DC, Crescendo and some others). They don't need it because everyone knows they do what they say (and a little bit more).

But for companies with questionable reputations..... Crunch, Hifonics, Boss, Belva, Pyramid, AP and all the countless other "budget" brands out there.. can the average consumer on a budget put any faith in these ratings? I am sure that if everyone had $1200 to spend on a single amplifier that no one would ever buy anything from the above mentioned "budget" companies, but the reality is that either we can not all spend enough to buy a top tier amplifier, or in my case, I can honestly buy what I want, but just don't see the value in in paying $400+ for something that I feel I can get for $250.

For example, I purchased the brz-2100 several months ago. I have ran it at 2, 1.6, and .5 ohm configurations (3 8s @ 1.6 and 2 12s at both 2 and .5). It is CEA 2006 compliant. I clamped it a couple of hundred watts below rated. However, my voltage was falling close to 11VDC, and gains were set with DMM and not DD-1 so I can easily see that there is no way I was going to see rated. But, the point is, that it was pretty damned close, and with 14.4V electrical probably does rated (likely a bit more).

The Crunch amp that Steve tested a while back (made by Maxxsonic just like Hifonics) is not CEA Compliant and put up pretty embarassing numbers.

soooo....

tl/dr CEA 2006 Compliance... legit or not?

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

you likely saw near rated with your hifonics because you were clipping. dmm isn't an accurate method.

hifonics stated themselves that their brutus amps lose like 18% of their output for every 1v of drop. so you had to have been clipping to get near the rated power at 11v.

CEA is stupid IMO. lots of fantastic amplifiers out there that dont pay the money to have that badge put on their products, yet they make the power. you just have to know how to not buy a garbage product from a garbage company.

Right on. I know why the better companies don't bother. My real question is for those companies that DO bother. So Hifonics falls off hard with lower voltage, do they do rated power at rated voltage? Thank you for the info.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

Right on. I know why the better companies don't bother. My real question is for those companies that DO bother. So Hifonics falls off hard with lower voltage, do they do rated power at rated voltage? Thank you for the info.

SUSTAINED 14.4V will give you rated on the certified Hifonics amps, but people on a budget who typically buy those amps will hardly have such a good electrical, furthermore, I'd expect increased reliability issues for those use who them at 14.4V since those cheap amp manufacturers don't expect their typical users will meet the requirements for the certified rated power.

Bottom line, don't sabotage yourself buying cheat products, wait the time to get something of proven quality.

Archived