Can Coilovers Raise My Vehicle?

I've got a MK3 Golf which on it's stock suspension sit's far too low because the rear suspension can't handle the weight of my batteries and 18's. I can get coilovers but I don't know that they can lift your car as well as drop it. Does anybody know if they can?

(Old Car) 1995 Volkswagon Golf MK3 2.0L:

Fi SP4 18 On A DC Audio 3.5K In A PWK Box

Hertz DSK 6" Speakers, Clarion HU

3x Fullriver 120aH AGM's, 225A Alt

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

Bit One, Rockford Amps, Audison Sub

Yes, coil overs are adjustable up and down. Any coil overs you find will be made for the stock weight though. You would need to find a coil over with different springs available and put in heavier springs. You'd want to find the stock spring rate and add however many pounds of extra you have.

So, coil overs may help you, if you can find a pair with selectable spring ratings (different springs).

One way is, what I Did originally was find adjustable spacers, the generic coil over kind, and used those with those stock springs. Helped me out, quite a bit with a lot of weight. Now I just have the whole kit, with heavier springs. Sits higher and doesn't bottom out. And can take corners just as fast as stock, with all the weight.

*06 330i - Sundern x12 - saz-3500*

*91 Foxbody V1 S-Trim Notch*

Thanks guys I might look at those options.

(Old Car) 1995 Volkswagon Golf MK3 2.0L:

Fi SP4 18 On A DC Audio 3.5K In A PWK Box

Hertz DSK 6" Speakers, Clarion HU

3x Fullriver 120aH AGM's, 225A Alt

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

Bit One, Rockford Amps, Audison Sub

• 2 weeks later...

Be extremely cautious when buying coil-overs. In most cases, the price of the product doesn't really dictate the quality, but with coil-overs, price plays a MAJOR part in the quality of the product. A cheaper coil-over may not help you at all. In fact, it may DROP your rear end even more! The stronger and more sturdy coil-overs usually range between $150 to even $3000, depending on the size, company, and weight capacity of the product.

After a little bit of research, I couldn't find a coil over that would fit your vehicle perfectly, although my guess it This would work. Could you please specify exactly what make/model/year your vehicle is?

Thanks.

Please note that the coil-overs priced at $3000 were made specially for a Porsche.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought some Eibach Ground Control coilovers and so far they are great. Sure the ride is a little stiffer and rougher than stock suspension, but that is to be expected. Going with a performance spring with a higher spring rate may lower the vehicle (highest setting is lower than stock), but highest setting might be higher than where stock under load is at now. I'm eager to get equipment in and see how the new all around suspension handle it... I went with coilovers too for the adjustable feature, I don't like a car with a saggy ass

20131005_163629_zps6f25392d.jpg

sleeves are cheaper, but ride rougher

whole suspension coilovers are more expensive, but have a better ride

You also have to put in consideration how you adjust them. I have seen some that need adjusted by accessing the strut mount. This was not acceptable for me because I won't be able to access that when I do a wall. Coilover sleeves are adjustable from outside the vehicle.

Archived