Second Skin Audio

Complete noob recone question

Cox

Okay man, good luck. It isn't hard to recone, my first and so far only recone I did was on my SMD 18 and it wasn't hard at all. Just to make it a hell of a lot easier on yourself take the speaker terminals they included and figure out which way they need to face and bolt it up to the basket without the recone installed. It will be far easier to put that little retaining nut in without the cone in your way. Also what I would do is after you have the speaker terminals mounted to the basket put a little dab of CA glue on the top of the screw to prevent it from backing itself off.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

No it wouldn't hurt to make the hole larger but if you make it larger it would have a chance of either you slipping with the drill bit or bending the terminal from it binding on the drill bit when you enlarge it. If you can I would see if you have little wire cutters, like ones that are needle nose and just cut down the hole. Like make it somewhat of an oval. You can then stick in the tinsel leads with it being a longer hole and solder them up that way. In my opinion it would be easiest and fastest with less risk of you drilling yourself if you get something to cut the hole down a little bit than to drill it out larger. The only reason it is fighting you for getting them in is because the current tinsel leads have a little dab of solder on the tips to prevent the braiding from unraveling itself when you install it. if you can be VERY careful with it and not get any loose you can cut off that little solder point and shove the tinsels in the hole without enlarging the hole but you risk getting little pieces of the tinsel lead to not go in the hole and stick out and risk a short.

edit: If you have a reaming tool just use that to ream the hole a little bit to help fit it in or just carefully cut the soldered tip and shove it all into the hole on the terminal.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Archived