Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

I need a box design


Syphlyn

Recommended Posts

Posted

youd have to build 3-5 enclosures to figure that out.(each fireing a different way) it comes down to personal pref and the way the air flows in the vehicle. it should perform just as is. i would (as many others would agree) to port to the pass side. it has always had the best results for me.

Posted

Sounds good and should I worry about this? http://imgur.com/1erCaVs Don't know if you've answered it already but I didn't see. Is the port fine the way you made it or should it be like in the link above? Just curious.

Also will I notice a difference between this box: http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/category/details.aspx?categoryid=445&productid=7750&sku=12512dbs (current one) and my new one you designed for me. Will it be noticeable or what?

EDIT: That box came with my subs when I bought them, I would never pay $400 for a pre fabricated box.

Syphlyns 2000 F150 4.6L V8

H/U: Kendwood KDC-X898

Speakers: 4 x Alpine SPR-68 Speakers

4 Channel Amp: Alpine PDX-F4

Sub: Sundown Zv4 12

Sub Amp: Sundown SAZ-2000D

Box: 2.75 Cu Ft @ 31Hz

Alternator: Mechman 250A elite series

Wiring: All KnuKoncepz 0 gauge OFC + KnuKonceptz Krystal RCAs

Posted

the port will perform fine as i have made it. as a rule you should have 3 inches of space between the port opening and any other wall or surface. you do see a diff because that is a prefab. although it states 1.25 per chamber it doesn't give port dimensions or tuning. i have seen prefabs tuned to mid 40s with about 5" of port area per foot. << thats what is considered a "no-no" they are very peaky enclosures giving you decent response at a very narrow frequency range. prefab ports ( in extreme cases) tend to act more like leaks than ports. the box i designed will have a broader range of frequency spikes. when designing a box you want more of a flat response line but when working with smaller projects a 30-45-50 range is pretty good. in other words for your application the enclosure will perform wonderfully and will work great for a daily use.

prefabs are typically universal so port location/direction is not a parameter in which they apply

Posted

Beautiful! I don't know how to thank you but you saved me so much time and answered all my questions. Now I have one last question.

http://i.imgur.com/JSMTuHq.jpg

In the interior picture you modeled, why did u put a 45 piece and 45'd the "port wall" is that important that I do that (red circle)?

Is it important that I brace the corners with 45 deg pieces and do you think the "cross" port is necessary?

EDIT: MAKING THE PORT LENGTH 27IN INSTEAD OF 25IN IS FINE? THAT LEAVES 3 IN BETWEEN THE WALL AND THE PORT ON THE INTERIOR OF THE BOX.

Syphlyns 2000 F150 4.6L V8

H/U: Kendwood KDC-X898

Speakers: 4 x Alpine SPR-68 Speakers

4 Channel Amp: Alpine PDX-F4

Sub: Sundown Zv4 12

Sub Amp: Sundown SAZ-2000D

Box: 2.75 Cu Ft @ 31Hz

Alternator: Mechman 250A elite series

Wiring: All KnuKoncepz 0 gauge OFC + KnuKonceptz Krystal RCAs

Posted

the one on the port wall will help from loading vibration in on and around the port opening. i made the 45s so that they will take away just enough volume. they are 4" on the longest side. you can always fill the empty space with cotton wadding or expanding foam. some people say that 45s wont affect sound some say it will, all i know is the stronger the enclosure the better, and if it happens to help air flow than how can it be bad.

** dont forget you have pressure on both sides of that port wall. bracing it wont hurt :)

Posted

Its funny this boxes outer dimensions are smaller than the one I have now yet has more cubic volume.

Current 1.25 x 2

New : 3.14 cu ft (including the "cross" bracer) I figured 2 inches wide x 0.75 inches thick for the "cross" brace.

The subs get a total of 0.514 cu ft extra (0.2507 cu ft) each. Should I be worried?

WJvwdqL.png

Syphlyns 2000 F150 4.6L V8

H/U: Kendwood KDC-X898

Speakers: 4 x Alpine SPR-68 Speakers

4 Channel Amp: Alpine PDX-F4

Sub: Sundown Zv4 12

Sub Amp: Sundown SAZ-2000D

Box: 2.75 Cu Ft @ 31Hz

Alternator: Mechman 250A elite series

Wiring: All KnuKoncepz 0 gauge OFC + KnuKonceptz Krystal RCAs

Posted

i wouldnt be. thats awesome you got torres workin for you tho! it sure helps when its number crunching time. its not uncommon for subs to be in enclosures slightly larger than spec. ive seen 2 12s in a 4cube enclosure and they needed 1.7 each by spec.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 958 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...