Sundown Audio

NS-1 Maximum RCA Input Voltage

Anybody happen to know what it is?

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

The manual suggests 6v for the input sensitivity, but doesn't list an actual maximum safe voltage. You planning on going higher?

No, I recently acquired an NS-1 in a trade for my Crescendo BC5500 plus $300 cash and it kept going into protect during gain setting on the initial power up. Long story short, I literally did an amplifier swap from the 5500 to the NS-1, everything in my car was correct. I shut the car off, turned it back on, and as I was turning the gain up it would go into protect again. I cycled the ignition and tried a third time, amplifier sparked in the vicinity of the input section, cloud of smoke rolled out of the case, and the illumination on the amplifier went out.

I pulled the amplifier and tested every wire. At volume 28 (maximum unclipped on my Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397) I get 4.01-4.06 AC Volts on my RCA's. I have two runs of Rockford OFC 1/0 for power and another two runs for ground, all front to back, with three matching Shuriken's in my trunk. So a bad ground can be eliminated. And the following morning I hooked up one of those $100 eBay Shark amplifiers, set the gain with zero issue on the same oscilloscope, same power and grounds, same RCA's, and same remote turn-on, and it is still in my car now playing away on my XL's.

It was brought up to me by an outside party that my problem was that the amplifier would only accept up to 4V inputs according to the manual, and this is why I blew my NS-1.

As I referenced the owners manual, the only "4V" mention is in the troubleshooting section saying that if I have 4V DC or greater on my RCA's, it will protect. Well duh, 4V DC will protect an amplifier. RCA voltage is AC, according to the reference he was trying to make. It is also clearly printed on the NS-1 casing at the gain adjustment that it will accept from 0.2 to 6.0V. I just wanted a neutral party to verify, in case there was an RCA voltage issue I was not aware about.

(P.S. I received the amplifier in rather rough condition, quite worse than what was described, but I am in such a time crunch for PA MECA States that I was willing to ignore the mis-described condition as long as it functioned properly, to answer the question as to why i didn't send it back immediately...)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

Seen this on FB but couldnt post.

Said guy got an 1100.1 from a teammate in 100% working order and that same 1100.- was protecting jn his truck.. But he would just reset it and keep playing it till he repaird it the pawned it off on someone else. He also deleted everything he had showing issues with that amp...

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

Yeah 4v wouldn't do it. Sounds like it was broken in the first place and the owner traded it off to be someone else's problem.

Who did you trade with? Any chance you used paypal? If so, start the claims process

Listen to those guy^^^

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw

Chris tooloud evans on facebook IIRC

Like i said this is now the 2nd issue in a month ive seen with him.

Buddy had an issue with him.. I caught chris in 2-3 lies within an hour.. And proved the amp was 100% the day before it was shipped

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

I somewhat remember an issue he was involved in, here. Someone purchased a DC XL from him, and he never shipped it. Could be a different dude, but I'm pretty sure his name was Chris Evans

-98' Ford Expedition (Rest in Peace)

-AVH-P3300BT

-Crescendo BC5500

-4 18" DC m2 Level 3.