got a question about a new ho alt and belt

well i blew a sub from not enough power to it. amp was clipping so i got a new one. and have broken it in a little bit, turn the gains down and everything so my amp wont clip but i have some money coming pretty soon and plan on gettin a 240 amp alt from mechman, now thoe question is i have a 07 charger and ive heard that the chargers have a pcm controlled alt? so if i add a ho alt, will the pcm still only pull a max of 160 amps at most if needed? i tried to ask a friend thats a mechanic but he insists other wise. but ive heard people saying before that it doesnt work right. and after i throw on a new ho alt what kind of belt should i use? existing one? mechman said to use a belt 1/2'' shorter and hat of a premium belt in fact.

and ive never taken off a alt i know there are screws that hold it in. but how do you remove it and put it back on along with the serp belt?

I'm not 100% sure on all of your questions, but on my alternator there were 3 bolts that held it into place. I'd recommend purchasing the book for your vehicle that shows you how to work on the car yourself (can't remember where I got it, probably a Discount or Autozone or something). On my Cav, there's a thing you have to turn with a ratchet that will loosen up the belt at which point you can either take it off or put one on. As for the HO alt and charger situation you might be able to talk with Mechman and explain what you've heard about it being PCM controlled. Whatever belt they tell you to use as well, I'd also take their word for it. After all, they've been doing this for a while now :P I think the reason you'd want a smaller belt though is because the pulley on their alternator is smaller than your stock pulley.

Hopefully somebody who's more experienced with different vehicles will chime in though, I've only ever done work to mine

Also, you can never blow a sub from not giving it "enough power"

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

I'm not 100% sure on all of your questions, but on my alternator there were 3 bolts that held it into place. I'd recommend purchasing the book for your vehicle that shows you how to work on the car yourself (can't remember where I got it, probably a Discount or Autozone or something). On my Cav, there's a thing you have to turn with a ratchet that will loosen up the belt at which point you can either take it off or put one on. As for the HO alt and charger situation you might be able to talk with Mechman and explain what you've heard about it being PCM controlled. Whatever belt they tell you to use as well, I'd also take their word for it. After all, they've been doing this for a while now :P I think the reason you'd want a smaller belt though is because the pulley on their alternator is smaller than your stock pulley.

Hopefully somebody who's more experienced with different vehicles will chime in though, I've only ever done work to mine

Also, you can never blow a sub from not giving it "enough power"

yea i meant like the volts dropped and clipped the amp and fried the sub. i think the spare battery i have is the culprit as its pretty old should probably jusat take it out and get a new one ive had it for about 4 years . and i called mechman they had no idea about what i was asking him about the pcm if it will affect the ho aLT.

Gates belt, the green one.

PCM just regulates the alt voltage, not the amperage.

gotcha. yea ive read the above topic about cars that do or dont have ocm regulated alts but didnt quite understand what it meant. so the volts wont go above 14 at most? but will be able to supply the demands of the amp steadily?

Archived