Jump to content

Why are my speakers making a popping noise?


AqFi

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm not sure where the best place is to start so I guess I'll list off all of the audio equipment I have in case it makes a difference.

1 stock Fi SSD 12"

SoundQubed Q1-1200d (wired to one ohm)

Kenwood KDC-248u head unit

Stock 6.5" components.

Around two years ago I started putting together my little system and everything was fine. Maybe a month or two after my friends and I installed the system I noticed my speakers making a popping noise. It only lasted a day or two and went away by itself.

Since then, every one in a while my speakers will start popping while playing music but it usually fixed itself within a few days.

After a long period of no popping, the issue came back. This whole week I have not been able to listen to music due to how annoying and bad the popping is.

I have found that it only occurs when I am playing music from my Ipod. When I listen to radio my speakers do not pop at all.

So far I have tried

-changing the Ipod cable

-Soldering and heat shrinking all wires to my head unit

-unplugging and resetting my head unit

-wiggling the usb connection going to my head unit to see if it was causing the issue (it was not)

I would also like to add that the popping noise does get louder as I increase the volume on the head unit.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? I'm starting to think that it's the cheap head unit I have.

Thanks for your time!

Posted

I've got the KDC-152 HU .. looks just like yours minus the USB.. also, i have the Kicker 6.5" KS Series 2-way's in my door and only my drivers side one pops like that, i thought the coil was just bottoming out.. but now i'm not so sure lol

2006 Monte Carlo

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

2 SSA ZCON 12's

5 Cube Box tuned to 32 Hz

Soundqubed 3500.1

PAC LC-1

Singer 320 Amp Alt

XS D3100 & Kinetik HC2400 in trunk

Super Start AGM Under Hood

80ft+ Sky High 1/0

40 ft^3 120mil sky high deadener

Soundqubed Pro Audio 6.5" mids

Soundqubed Super Tweeters

Alpine 1" Tweeters

Alpine MRP-F300

Posted

Some ipods have a popping problem, I have one myself that sucks. Try other sources first if you have not already.

CARS

14 Sierra crew cab daily, Small build coming one of these days

69 C-10 fleetside in many pieces, won't be done till the end of time

Last car '12 Focus with build log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165619-2012-focus-btl-15-crescendo-sundown-audio-control/

Posted

it could be your speaker wire grounding out some where that it got cut. this happened to me just taped it up with electrical tape and the popping went away hope this helps

Posted

Take a picture of ur speaker cone

It could have a hole

I don't think its that. I took off my door panels a couple months ago to deaden and the speakers looked fine.

Posted

Some ipods have a popping problem, I have one myself that sucks. Try other sources first if you have not already.

thanks, i'll get a usb and try some songs out tomorrow to see if the ipod is the problem.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

is the aux port on your head unit and or ipod worn a little? i had a ipod and the aux port on it seemed like it wore away the cable became loose inside the aux n the ipod which caused the right side of my speakers to stop working and then if i wiggled it the left would work, or sometimes only 1 would work. got a new ipod and no problems. they popped and hissed and made all sorts of weird sounds before ei got a new ipod

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 1051 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...