Why are my speakers making a popping noise?

AqFi

I'm not sure where the best place is to start so I guess I'll list off all of the audio equipment I have in case it makes a difference.

1 stock Fi SSD 12"

SoundQubed Q1-1200d (wired to one ohm)

Kenwood KDC-248u head unit

Stock 6.5" components.

Around two years ago I started putting together my little system and everything was fine. Maybe a month or two after my friends and I installed the system I noticed my speakers making a popping noise. It only lasted a day or two and went away by itself.

Since then, every one in a while my speakers will start popping while playing music but it usually fixed itself within a few days.

After a long period of no popping, the issue came back. This whole week I have not been able to listen to music due to how annoying and bad the popping is.

I have found that it only occurs when I am playing music from my Ipod. When I listen to radio my speakers do not pop at all.

So far I have tried

-changing the Ipod cable

-Soldering and heat shrinking all wires to my head unit

-unplugging and resetting my head unit

-wiggling the usb connection going to my head unit to see if it was causing the issue (it was not)

I would also like to add that the popping noise does get louder as I increase the volume on the head unit.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? I'm starting to think that it's the cheap head unit I have.

Thanks for your time!

I've got the KDC-152 HU .. looks just like yours minus the USB.. also, i have the Kicker 6.5" KS Series 2-way's in my door and only my drivers side one pops like that, i thought the coil was just bottoming out.. but now i'm not so sure lol

2006 Monte Carlo

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

2 SSA ZCON 12's

5 Cube Box tuned to 32 Hz

Soundqubed 3500.1

PAC LC-1

Singer 320 Amp Alt

XS D3100 & Kinetik HC2400 in trunk

Super Start AGM Under Hood

80ft+ Sky High 1/0

40 ft^3 120mil sky high deadener

Soundqubed Pro Audio 6.5" mids

Soundqubed Super Tweeters

Alpine 1" Tweeters

Alpine MRP-F300

Some ipods have a popping problem, I have one myself that sucks. Try other sources first if you have not already.

CARS

14 Sierra crew cab daily, Small build coming one of these days

69 C-10 fleetside in many pieces, won't be done till the end of time

Last car '12 Focus with build log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165619-2012-focus-btl-15-crescendo-sundown-audio-control/

Some ipods have a popping problem, I have one myself that sucks. Try other sources first if you have not already.

thanks, i'll get a usb and try some songs out tomorrow to see if the ipod is the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

is the aux port on your head unit and or ipod worn a little? i had a ipod and the aux port on it seemed like it wore away the cable became loose inside the aux n the ipod which caused the right side of my speakers to stop working and then if i wiggled it the left would work, or sometimes only 1 would work. got a new ipod and no problems. they popped and hissed and made all sorts of weird sounds before ei got a new ipod

Archived