Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Confirm Box for build!


Nipsy06

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am in the process of putting the final touches on my first build. I have a few guys helping me especially KIcker8940 and bloodrises.(Thanks Guys). Kicker8940 is kind of new to the design process and Im new to all of this so help us guys. I have 2 12" SDC 2.5 woofers. They are going to be connected to a AQ1200D amp. I will be putting this in the trunk of a 2000 Buick Lesabre. The trunks measurements are 44Length X 40Front to Back X 19 High. I requested a box design that would not take up my entire trunk and also leave room for my spare. The new measurements for the box I requested was about 35 inches in length (to fit in between Wheel wells in the trunk) 23 ish for spare(25 is the max) and 14 High. Thus he came up with a new design. What do you guys think of this design will it work. I also listen to rap bass heavy music but I listen to jazz and everything else as well. I say that to say this. Is the 35.56HZ a good frequency for the subs? I have subs to feel and I do mean feel my bass. (You Know what im talkin about) Confirm the box or tell us what can be done better. Anything helps really guys so help us please. Thanks In Advance.

If you have any design experience and are willing to help me please do so. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

Below is the design from kicker and I will provide a link in the bottom for all previous conversation from previous forum

From: Kicker8940

Being i'm still learning the design process i would like for somebody that knows what there doing to look at this before you build it so you don't end up with a piece of junk box,if you have time to wait. If not then i wish you the best on the design.

I usually use 1-5/8 drywall screws and glue,you don't have to have clamps but it makes it a little easier to hold the pieces as you screw it together.

Yes you will need a jigsaw to cut the sub holes if you don't have one,or maybe you can borrow one from somebody.

Also make sure you predrill the holes before you put in the screws,so the wood doesn't split i use a 1/8 bit.

And i use something like this to countersink the screw holes.

http://www.homedepot...09#.Uk2td2F2lXo

This is the type of wood glue i use.

http://www.homedepot...43#.Uk2ukGF2lXo

212Soundqubed25-1-1_zps0571f93f.png

212Soundqubed25-2-1_zpsba543340.png

212Soundqubed25s-1_zps34384272.png

212Soundqubed25-3-1_zpscddfb5e2.png

It's kinda hard to explain everything you need and how to do it,i have also been told that experience is the best teacher there is.

Just don't get in a big hurry when building it so you don't have to go buy more wood.

Most people use 3/4 MDF for the wood.

Posted

You should add the sub displacement in the appropriate box. Without doing so, the tuning will be higher than it appears. The brace, made out of MDF, will likely not add much structural strength. Threaded rod, or thick hardwood dowels would be the better option. That brace is very pretty, but it's not doing much.

As far as help goes,I like the second box more since it has a little more port. The tuning of 35 Hz should be perfectly fine for most types of music. I'd make sure to engage your infrasonic filter around 28 Hz. How are you going to position the box in the trunk?Are you going to face the subs and port back, or are you going to fire them forward into the cabin?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

You should add the sub displacement in the appropriate box. Without doing so, the tuning will be higher than it appears. The brace, made out of MDF, will likely not add much structural strength. Threaded rod, or thick hardwood dowels would be the better option. That brace is very pretty, but it's not doing much.

As far as help goes,I like the second box more since it has a little more port. The tuning of 35 Hz should be perfectly fine for most types of music. I'd make sure to engage your infrasonic filter around 28 Hz. How are you going to position the box in the trunk?Are you going to face the subs and port back, or are you going to fire them forward into the cabin?

Well i would have added sub displacement but i couldn't find anything for the subs,the website doesn't tell what it is.

Posted

I'm pretty sure those SQs like a bunch of air Crandis. 2.0-2.5 cubes per sub is not unheard of for those things. I wouldn't be too keen on overpowering them though.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

So is the first box tuned at 35.56 a go??? What do you mean by not enough structure support? Is there anything I should do different? Dowel Rod??? Also sub displacement im confused again im new to this. Also for terminals should I just screw two screws and bolts to the back and caulk around them for terminals??? Im ready to go pick up ther materials and start today Just waiting on the word.

Posted

That little MDF divider doesn't do much for bracing, which is the intention. Hard wooden dowels would be a better option, better yet would be all-thread(threaded rod you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot).

I can't give you box advice unless you tell me how you plan to put it in the trunk. Are you facing the subs back toward the trunk of the car, or forward? I like the port area on the second box better, but I like the internal volume of the first box.

You're not actually tuned to 35.xx with the first box because sub displacement isn't calculated for.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 440 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...