Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

SDC 2.5 12" ENCLOSURE


Nipsy06

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am in the process of putting the final touches on my first build. I have a few guys helping me especially KIcker8940 and bloodrises.(Thanks Guys). Kicker8940 is kind of new to the design process and Im new to all of this so help us guys. I have 2 12" SDC 2.5 woofers. They are going to be connected to a AQ1200D amp. I will be putting this in the trunk of a 2000 Buick Lesabre. The trunks measurements are 44Length X 40Front to Back X 19 High. I requested a box design that would not take up my entire trunk and also leave room for my spare. The new measurements for the box I requested was about 35 inches in length (to fit in between Wheel wells in the trunk) 23 ish for spare(25 is the max) and 14 High. Thus he came up with a new design. What do you guys think of this design will it work. I also listen to rap bass heavy music but I listen to jazz and everything else as well. I say that to say this. Is the 35.56HZ a good frequency for the subs? I have subs to feel and I do mean feel my bass. (You Know what im talkin about) Confirm the box or tell us what can be done better. Anything helps really guys so help us please. Thanks In Advance.

If you have any design experience and are willing to help me please do so. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

Below is the design from kicker and I will provide a link in the bottom for all previous conversation from previous forum

From: Kicker8940

Being i'm still learning the design process i would like for somebody that knows what there doing to look at this before you build it so you don't end up with a piece of junk box,if you have time to wait. If not then i wish you the best on the design.

I usually use 1-5/8 drywall screws and glue,you don't have to have clamps but it makes it a little easier to hold the pieces as you screw it together.

Yes you will need a jigsaw to cut the sub holes if you don't have one,or maybe you can borrow one from somebody.

Also make sure you predrill the holes before you put in the screws,so the wood doesn't split i use a 1/8 bit.

And i use something like this to countersink the screw holes.

http://www.homedepot...09#.Uk2td2F2lXo

This is the type of wood glue i use.

http://www.homedepot...43#.Uk2ukGF2lXo

212Soundqubed25-1-1_zps0571f93f.png

212Soundqubed25-2-1_zpsba543340.png

212Soundqubed25s-1_zps34384272.png

212Soundqubed25-3-1_zpscddfb5e2.png

It's kinda hard to explain everything you need and how to do it,i have also been told that experience is the best teacher there is.

Just don't get in a big hurry when building it so you don't have to go buy more wood.

Most people use 3/4 MDF for the wood.

Posted

first no problem with helping man thats what we are all here for. second with the tuning it should sound good with what you listen to. Unfortunally with building a box and trying to get it to sound the way you like it you may have to rebuild it a couple times to get it where you want. I got lucky on my first box and it sounds amasing and plays loud and low as hell and its tuned to 36hz and will play ANY type of music.

Make sure you take your time with the box make sure you have good coverage with the glue and dont split the MDF when you screw it. Also make sure you calk the every seam and corner of the box to make 100% sure there is no air leaking. other then that build it and have fun and POST PICS OF YOU BUILDING IT AND A VIDEO WHEN ITS DONE!!! also give the box about 24-48hr's to dry compleatly befor you go beating the hell out of it.

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Posted

LoL!!! Thanks for the confirm.... Yes I will wait for it to dry. Thanks for all the help I will be sure you guys get pics of the process and the full install vid. Thanks again!

Posted

One more question how do I get the wire outside the box to run to the amp? (Terminals.... run wire through port what??)

It would be up to you how you do that,some people use terminal cups, some just drill a small hole to run the speaker wire through and then use some caulk to seal it.

Or you can run the speaker wire out of the port,but IMO i think that looks ghetto.

Also if you get Home Depot to cut your wood make sure you measure every piece to make sure they are right before you leave,so take a tape measure with you.

Posted

Do whatever you like the most with the wires. I use terminal cups on small power boxes (<1000w) and bolts or terminal pins on large power boxes. I don't like the idea of running wires through ports, as there is a lot of wind moving in and out of the port and having something in it creates turbulence. And depending on the arrangement, wiring in the port can make a nasty rattle.

As for box building, keep screws or nails 2" from corners to avoid splitting. If you're using screws, pre drill. Be liberal with the glue (I use Titebond II or III) and keep a wet rag on hand to wipe off the excess... after you tool it into the corners the same way you would tool caulk into corners. And if your cuts are true, you do not need caulk anywhere. But, if you do need caulk, save yourself some headaches and avoid silicone like it's on fire. Silicone stinks, is sticky as hell and it does not stick to wood products well. If you need caulk, use Polyseamseal or even cheap painter's caulk. After all, we're not building glass fish tanks, we're building wooden boxes. Silicone is for glass and other non porous materials.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Posted

One more question how do I get the wire outside the box to run to the amp? (Terminals.... run wire through port what??)

Since I have 1 sub I just drilled small holes for my 8gauge wire and did direct leads for less resistance. I have seen people use brass bolts direct lead like mine and terminals.

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 440 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...