Need some sysyem design help. 4way active...kind of...

I am curently working on getting together all the equipment for my build and need some input from people, such as most of you, who have more experience than i do.

This is my daily driver vehicle, i have no plans of going to shows or comps. I listen to lots of techno, classic rock, metal.

Im looking to get the loudest, cleanest, most detailed and chest congesting sound possible.

Input im looking for.

WHich DSP best fits, which speakers can get the loudest and stay detialed and clean(and blend well obviously), which dsp to use( 3sixty.3, zapco z8, JBL MS-8) and will the speakers ive listed work well togoether? Since i can only accomadate 2 8's should i only have 2 6.5's and 2 4's and 2 tweets?

What would you do if you had the equipment ive listed and arent trying to win a show or comp? And i plan to use a tablet as the source, i dont listen to the radio or Cd's any more so why bother with an exspensive HU.

Equipment i have......

06 gmc envoy

2x XS d3400 batteries, wired parralel

Mechman 250a alt(yes i did the big 3, who buys an alt like that and doesnt?!!)

2x zapco 750.2 (the older ones, not the new DC style) only using one, the other is part of the plan

1x Zapco 350.2 (also the older ref style) not using yet, but part of the build plan

1x DC Audio 2.0K(recntly purchased fron You Know Who here on SMD)

HU no longer applies, was using a kenwood but something went awry and the RCA outs started generating massive( and i DO MEAN MASSIVE) ground loop feedback. Currently using my phone with the 3.5 out conected to the zapco balanced converter box.

2x treo ss? 12's

1 rainbow double kick comp set, 4x 6.5 and 2x 1.5" tweets, wired as intended using the Xover @ 2ohm stereo. In my extreme ignorance i crossed them too low and two of them rattle a bit. while the midbass is virtually nonexesitent the upper end is very detailed and clean.

My goal is to go mostly active using what i have and then some, the rainbows may have to go for the most part. The tweeters are in great shape and function well but like i said two of the woofers rattle on some notes.

First two steps are deciding on the speakers, and DSP. my plan so far(this is where i need most of the help, planning the speaker setup and DSP Choice)

My initial thoughts, each set(8's, 6.5's, and 4" comps, subs, wired to indidvidual amps fed a signal from a DSP which is wired to a Tablet as the source)

2x JL Audio zr800-cw in the front doors, for mid-bass, wired @4ohm stereo to one 750.2 (Factory location hold 8"s in the front door) I mention thesespecifically because i cant seem to find anything else that apear to be audiophile grade midbass in a IB setup

4x 6.5 mids, two in kicks, two in rear doors, wired @ 2ohm stereo to the other 750.2( not sure which ones to get???!!, been eying the image dynamics x-65, and the JL ZR 6.5)

2x 4" component sets, meaning 4x 4" and 4x tweets (also not sure which to get) wired @ 2ohms stereo to the 350.2(woofers and tweeters with passive x'overs) I know i can fit one set of 4's in the dash, not sure about two.

SUBS, Still dont know what fits best for my taste, ive never heard any of them, ive been playing with different builds in BassBox and cant decide between 1 18" lvl 4 DC Audio, 1 18" TC Sounds(the big one) and 4 IDQ 12's. The single sub setup is easiest to accomodate, and according to the program each setup has similar output and response. But none of those will sound the same in RL im sure.

I feel this seems a little jumbled but its late and ive had a few drinks. Any feedback is much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Cliff notes bro...

Level 4 18 souds beautiful, fockerfosgate pro 6.5 an their pro tweets if you wanna get loud. They make 8s too.

Xs xp 3000 or xs3100 batts an keep the 3400 up front

1 18 still isnt gonna be a ground pounder.

Save up an run 2 level 4s on about 4500.. should be beatin down the block pretty good

09 mustang gt

Drop the idea of using rear speakers, why do you need to have a active 4 way system?

Why did you choose the components you chose? (why 2 8's, 2 6.5's, 4 4's, and 4 tweeters?)

How much experience with active systems do you have?

How much time are you willing to spend on the tuning? (if this number is less then a few weeks, a active 3 way system is not a option for you)

Having a active 4 way system not including the subwoofers is useless, a active 3way front stage is already more then hard enough and needs a lot of time tuning and fiddling with positioning.

What are your goals? (more information then just the loudest and cleanest sound please)

As far as DSP's go, the JBL-MS8 is my favorite. (Haven't used the 360.3, have used the 360.1)

What would your budget be?

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

• 2 months later...

Thank you guys for the responses. I didnt see them until just now. For some reason I thought i would get an email when someone responded. After re-reading my post i admire your patience in getting to the end of it.

Since this post i wound up getting a pair of Dynaudio MW172's and the Fosgate 360.3. The Dyn's arent in the car yet but so far i really like the 360 running off of the input from the tablet i put in the dash.

@Kirill

For some reason i had the idea in my head that the more speakers the merrier. I have since learned the err of my ways. I have zero experience with active systems. But i am the tenacious badger.

At this point my choices seem to be these

1. Put the dyns in the door, use 2 of the four 6.5's from the rainbow set in kicks and leave the tweets in the dash(at this point i could still use the passive crossovers for the 6.5's and tweets) My only reservation is that im not sure it would be loud enough for me but i sure have grown to love the rich and detailed vocals they produce. The fosgate 360 is infinately flexible as far as crossover points go.

2. Dyns in the door plus one pair of 3" or 4" mids in the dash plus tweets in the pillar, or one pair of mids in the doors and another pair in the dash plus tweets in pillars and the 8" dyns in the door also. Is it safe to assume i should multiply the number of tweeters to match the number of mids

3. use the dyns and one each of the 6.5 rainbows in each door and the other two 6.5 rainbows in kicks. but only if i can get two of the four 6.5's repaired. I crossed them over too low on acccident and they have a rattle on one side from fading to center the sound stage which caused the one side to be over powered.

My total budget is around a grand to finish the front stage. Im not sure how to elaborate more on what i want as you asked. i just like excessively loud clean and rich music. I havent heard enough other systems to specify things like naturl sounding or any other descriptive term.

Archived