CDetty Posted October 10, 2013 Report Posted October 10, 2013 Hello all, I'm rebuilding my current subwoofer box for two Sundown X12s. I'm just wondering if a more experienced box designer could give me an opinion? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. 1999 Honda Civic- RIP 2003 Acura RSX Type-S
Krakin Posted October 10, 2013 Report Posted October 10, 2013 Try to get the PORT AREA to 90-100 in2 if you are wanting a 34hz tuning. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
CDetty Posted October 11, 2013 Author Report Posted October 11, 2013 Any ideas on a baffle configuration with the ports to reach that amount of port? I know there's a guy on here with 2 X12s using a single 8 inch aero port and he's making good numbers. In case I didn't make much sense (Which I'm pretty sure I didn't) I'm just asking for baffle and port configurations to reach the correct amount of port area. Ideally, I'd be tuned lower since X series subs like low tuning, correct? 1999 Honda Civic- RIP 2003 Acura RSX Type-S
Krakin Posted October 11, 2013 Report Posted October 11, 2013 It'll be best if you mess around in Google Sketch-up and see what you can get. I am capable of doing what you ask, but it has seemed that people understand and learn the design process better through making virtual boxes and then getting feedback on them on here. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
CDetty Posted October 11, 2013 Author Report Posted October 11, 2013 I've been messing around in sketch-up quite a bit. I've came to a dead end with this though =/ 1999 Honda Civic- RIP 2003 Acura RSX Type-S
Krakin Posted October 11, 2013 Report Posted October 11, 2013 Post up what you got. On sketch-up Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
CDetty Posted October 11, 2013 Author Report Posted October 11, 2013 Is there any way to require less port area? Shrinking the box maybe? I dont have my laptop at the moment otherwise I would check myself. Ive been thinking about box designs all day. 1999 Honda Civic- RIP 2003 Acura RSX Type-S
graham0599 Posted October 11, 2013 Report Posted October 11, 2013 Try a 9" port and adjust tuning accordingly My 350z build- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174424-2008-350z-build/page-2?hl=%2B350z+%2Bbuild#entry2605678
CDetty Posted October 11, 2013 Author Report Posted October 11, 2013 With my front baffle width I dont think I have room for a 9" port. 1999 Honda Civic- RIP 2003 Acura RSX Type-S
Krakin Posted October 11, 2013 Report Posted October 11, 2013 If you lower tuning the port area lowers a few inches every frequency. If anything just try and get as much as you can. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.