Sonic Electronix

To the OP and no offense meant, a lot of people don't actually know:

Why are you putting a fuse in? If you know the answer to this then you shouldnt have to ask the original question.Its always better to knw why you are doing something than to just follow a "rule."

Team NorthWestSPL

well I knew it would be best to put the fuse within 18" of battery, but in my circumstance that would not be long enough to still put it on the amp rack. so I was wondering what was the furthest from battery that was still considered "safe". the reason im putting 2 fuses in is because the second battery is a power source and at which can case a short in system. one before it goes into second battery(because it may "backfire") and a fuse after second battery before into amp so it wont fry my amp. and as far as I know my amp does not have an internal fuse.

AQ - SQ For Life

No, you still don't get it. There is not a single "safe" distance between any non fused section of wire and a battery. If you short 3 inches from the battery, then your fuse at 18" can't help you.

The 18" is just a guideline, but doesn't guarantee any non fused section of wire, period.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

I like the statement above that you must understand what you are doing and not just blindly follow a rule.

Fusing 12-18" from the battery is not a rule or law unless you compete in IASCA SQ.

In real installs, you must take your vehicle specifics into consideration.

You mention you cannot place a fuse close to the battery?

Why?

Would the wire run through any metal or near any ground on it's way to the fuse?

Would it be dangerously close to any other terminals or electrical products?

The purpose of the fuse is to protect the wire from grounding out. So if it is far away from the battery to the point that there is a possibility of failure before the fuse, is there even a point to having a fuse in the first place?

Now you can have 20ft of power wire, and if the first 18ft of that wire runs over carpet and has no ground metal or anything dangerous near it at all, go ahead and fuse at 18 feet.

But if your firewall or other ground metals are 12" from the batt. You must fuse within under 12 inches.

Just inspect the install and think logically about it.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion