CLPeller Posted October 15, 2013 Report Posted October 15, 2013 The Ride: 2011 F-150 5.0L The Equipment: (1) Stetsom 14k2 (4) SSA Evil 15's (1) 300 Amp excessive amperage alternator (for now) Here is the issue I am facing right now. I have my amp, subs, and alternator all figured out. However, i am facing an issue on figuring out what kind/how much wire to run. I know that OFC is better than CCA, buuuuuuut I can get a Killer deal on CCA right now from a friend who has too much. Now, if I was to go with CCA (or OFC even), how many runs will I need to get to my rear battery bank? I have one upgraded battery under the hood right now, and I think I have enough room for 7 batteries in my rear bank (it's been a while since I've done the measuring). How do I go about figuring out what I'll need? Sorry for the noob-ness, but I'm very new to designing my own (large) system. If you need any more info I'll gladly get it if I can find it!! Check out my build! 4 sets CT Sounds Meso components in custom fiberglass doors, 4 D'amore Engineering AF-15's on a DC Audio 3.5K http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/187649-2011-f150-fiberglass-doors-half-wall-16000-w/
ToNasty Posted October 15, 2013 Report Posted October 15, 2013 atleast 1 more alt, and 8-10 xs 3100. 6=8 runs os cca. off the top of my head thats what i would do ***Super Sellers List***http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/25829-super-sellers-buyers
CLPeller Posted October 15, 2013 Author Report Posted October 15, 2013 Thanks for the suggestions. A second Alt will most likely come along springtime. I have to find someone who can make a bracket for one. And by 6-8 runs do you mean from the front to the back? Or from the battery bank to the amp? So how do I figure out how many amps worth of battery bank I'll need, for a certain amount of watts (Ie, the 16,200W from the 14K2 @13.8V)? And from there, how do I figure out how much wire is needed to get enough amps to charge the battery bank? Hopefully I'm using the right terminology there :\ Check out my build! 4 sets CT Sounds Meso components in custom fiberglass doors, 4 D'amore Engineering AF-15's on a DC Audio 3.5K http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/187649-2011-f150-fiberglass-doors-half-wall-16000-w/
ToNasty Posted October 15, 2013 Report Posted October 15, 2013 6-8 runs from front (battery and alt) to back battery bank. cj18 on here has the same truck as you with dual alts. Stetxom site says 1200 amps of fusing, so a 12-16" run (i think) will be fine for 250 amps. 1200 by 250 = 4.8 so say 5. add an extra or 2 just because ***Super Sellers List***http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/25829-super-sellers-buyers
CLPeller Posted October 15, 2013 Author Report Posted October 15, 2013 He in fact does not. I can't remember which engine he has, but he is of the 04-08 body style. Which is most likely a 4.6, or possibly a 5.4L. 2011 is the first year of the new engine lineup (5.0L in mine) and I haven't found any big systems in one, let alone a dual alt setup. Also, where did you find that 1200 amps of fusing spec? I'm looking at the technical specs of the amp on their site right now, but I'm not seeing it. Am I missing something REAAALLLY obvious here..? Check out my build! 4 sets CT Sounds Meso components in custom fiberglass doors, 4 D'amore Engineering AF-15's on a DC Audio 3.5K http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/187649-2011-f150-fiberglass-doors-half-wall-16000-w/
CLPeller Posted October 15, 2013 Author Report Posted October 15, 2013 wow... NM. I think I found it. This is the one you're referencing? Consumption with Signal Bass 7,3 ~ 1200A Check out my build! 4 sets CT Sounds Meso components in custom fiberglass doors, 4 D'amore Engineering AF-15's on a DC Audio 3.5K http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/187649-2011-f150-fiberglass-doors-half-wall-16000-w/
Guest DC Power Kyle Posted October 15, 2013 Report Posted October 15, 2013 Be careful with the 300A alternator. Those trucks idle very low. Boss has a 5.0L 2013.
CLPeller Posted October 15, 2013 Author Report Posted October 15, 2013 So, what exactly do I need to be careful about? Check out my build! 4 sets CT Sounds Meso components in custom fiberglass doors, 4 D'amore Engineering AF-15's on a DC Audio 3.5K http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/187649-2011-f150-fiberglass-doors-half-wall-16000-w/
graham0599 Posted October 15, 2013 Report Posted October 15, 2013 Definitely second alt. I support the use of cca, it takes more runs but costs about a third. Try to get 8 runs front to back. From bank to amp probably won't be more than 2-3 feet so you're fine with cca there too. I'd look into buying a couple sets of dual 1/0 inputs from Toolmaker or Project DB for the amp though. Batteries, as many as you can get. You can never have too much reserve, you will need to take it easier though since you currently only have one alt though. Batteries will take longer to fully charge. As far as low idle, when giving demos, rev the truck to around 1200-2000 RPM and that will help your voltage. When it come to electrical, the more the merrier. Get as much as you can fit/afford. CJ18 might be able to make you a dual alt bracket. My 350z build- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174424-2008-350z-build/page-2?hl=%2B350z+%2Bbuild#entry2605678
graham0599 Posted October 15, 2013 Report Posted October 15, 2013 Another option might be putting a smaller pulley on the alt, that'll help the idle output. The problem is it can cause belt slip My 350z build- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174424-2008-350z-build/page-2?hl=%2B350z+%2Bbuild#entry2605678
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.