Second Skin Audio

sundown x-10's or zv3 12's?

blakgtp

tuning, probably around 45-47hz. as for port area... do you have a box designing program? if not, half the cone area would work. testing and adjusting along the way is a good idea.

TEAM SUNDOWN HAWAIIHAWAIICARAUDIO.NET

150Db Club

160Db club in the future

I see krakin as a threat

even 4th or 6th bandpass I don't see fitting

and I don't see that sub performing well daily in a 4th

6th maybe 3net @25 1net @45

and "stealth" for someone who wants to display and promote the use of there equipment then use it to talk up the lack of experience ,you may wish to no more about it, or kick back and learn some more about how the rule of thumb doesn't apply to big boys toys

on the 30x14x28

measurement

the best I can see you getting is 3.3net @33hz 66sq" of port

not what idd want for that your asking for

if you can say push it out to 33x29x14.5

4net @32hz 78sq" of port

so youll need to compromise somewhere, either trunk space of or what you want out of your system

tuning, probably around 45-47hz. as for port area... do you have a box designing program? if not, half the cone area would work. testing and adjusting along the way is a good idea.

I don't need a box design program to calculate port area. Your half the cone area estimate would work on an every day sub with Xmax that wasn't so extreme, like the X series Sundown. However it's a flawed way of calculating PROPER port area. You're dealing with a sub that has just about twice the Xmax as a normal sub.

For a bandpass, I come up with a MINIMUM required port area of around 280". The interesting thing about that number is that YOU actually enlightened me and made me search the effective cone area of this 10" monster. It's got 366 Square CM. A typical sub if similar power handling, like the RE SX or the DC Level 4 have 310 CM and 324 CM squared respectively. So this sub actually has MORE cone area according to Sundown's specs. More cone area equals more port.

So with that information, we can't treat this sub just like any other 10" 1000-1400 sub. Its got a decently high Xmax(and Xmech for that matter) and it's got more cone area than most 10" drivers on the market as well.

My point to all this is that "rule of thumb" airspace and port area calculations do not apply to this sub(as well as many others) and they should be thrown out the window.

OP, you don't have to trust anything I've said, but you may want to make an informed decision about building an enclosure for your, VERY NICE btw, subs. I don't want you to cheat your subs, or yourself, by designing and building an enclosure that will never do them justice. I'm done for now :)

P.S. Stealth, I'm sorry to come off harsh. I don't know your skills and I don't know your knowledge. Your answers don't seem adequate and they don't explain in any detail why you see saying what you're saying. If you disagree with what I've said, prove me wrong. I admitted my mistake when it came to cone area. I did further research and realized it. I was quick to notice my mistake and I was sorry I spoke too soon without knowing the accurate cone area.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

thanks for all the replies guys. The one comment about it sometimes being hard to be loud on the lows (to the ear) in a sealed off trunk setup has got me thinking that I should do something with a smaller box and do port side or back. Thoughts on this? I've pretty much written off the x-10's because I don't think I have enough space to do them justice. btw this will be going into a 98 honda prelude, so it's not a really big car. here's a couple videos I found of people doing pretty well with 1 beefy 12" in a 2 door trunk car

Op don't get us wrong these subs will work and be a monster in your trunk sealed fwd fwd,

And will work no issue

Will they be louder then the hdc4 or the fibl who knows as there are to many things to consider

But for something to domanate lows there is no better sub to choise

As far as an sq driver the x will drop off earlier then other subs like the fiq

So going by your original post the x would be your best choise

But if you are rethinking what you would like

Then please list what you would idle you equipment to do

And will help with some options

ok. well my absolute max dimensions is 30"w 14"h , 28" top depth 31" bottom depth. If I keep my seat folded and/or just remove the top piece then I could do like 30" top depth and 33" bottom depth

Also, I'm open to all suggestions for my sub setup to get to my desired goal of smashing the lows. 2 10's 2 12's, 1 15... etc

I'm curious do you guys think these x-10's firing forward will be better for daily lows then 1 15" (sp4, mayhem, hdd etc. ) firing up port side? It's been a long time since I fired forward sealed off. Last time was with 1 sa-15 on 600 watts in a grand prix...so not exactly a fair comparison, but it definitely lacked low end enforcement vs when the box was farther back in the trunk.

^

Proof or STFU

And mail it do post it

It's not need in this post

Back to the op's question

Do you only want to go low and be loud doing it or something that will play as low but also play into the 60-70hz as well

Where you want your sub to play and what your after music wise will pick your sub for you

25-45hz is all I really care about. care about the 25-39hz region the most

I do actually enjoy other type's up music that would favor a sub stage with a wider band width but I've done some semi-sq systems before. I want to try something new. This system is going to be more of a spl /low end monster system.

Archived