So I shaved off my "Escalade" logos today and I am prepping them tonight for tomorrows spray of primer. I want them black, and they are currently chrome, but I have a couple questions. First I clean them, then I sand, then I spray primer, and finishing coat? I did this process on one little letter to see the outcome, and it looked terrible, I think it was the cheap paint that advanced auto recommended to me, it left a almost texture like finish. If not the paint, then I did something wrong. Anyways just some tips on what to do or what type of paint to use would be cool, thanks.

teamsundown-1.jpg

So I shaved off my "Escalade" logos today and I am prepping them tonight for tomorrows spray of primer. I want them black, and they are currently chrome, but I have a couple questions. First I clean them, then I sand, then I spray primer, and finishing coat? I did this process on one little letter to see the outcome, and it looked terrible, I think it was the cheap paint that advanced auto recommended to me, it left a almost texture like finish. If not the paint, then I did something wrong. Anyways just some tips on what to do or what type of paint to use would be cool, thanks.

you cant just have them poder coated black ? or just not put them back on at all ?

dcaudio.jpg ALLAH's the most gracious, he made the universe the most spaciousSeen and heard in all places, but still appear facelessEmbraces all races, all caste and all casesIn every spec of life he's the substance of all tracesSMDsigbannr9.jpg

You can't powder coat plastic. Did you sand the primer smooth? If its the paint causing the rough feel then you're spraying it too dry. You should spray it til you get a nice wet look. If you want it perfect then I recommend taking them to a professional.

Any idea on what kind of primer and finish I should use? and wet sand the primer?

teamsundown-1.jpg

I did the semi flat finishing coat today. I did 2 coats in 30 minute intervals and it looked great untill I put the pieces bunched up together in a towell. When I took a closer look I noticed they scratched and had imperfections just from touching other letters. To fix this, would I just wetsand the imperfections out and then put another semi flat coat on and then maybe a clear coat to stop scratching so easily?

teamsundown-1.jpg

i use this when i build model cars and want to strip the chrome plating off of the plastic pieces. buy a bottle of original liquid plumber. its in the white bittle. and just soak the parts in it. if it will work of the part you will nitice it after a few seconds. move the part around with a screwdriver too, that usually helps. then wash it with dish soap. only dish soap there is something in there that is like a wax remover dawn works the best. dry it wipe it with rubbing alchol. let it dry the primer and paint.

----reference's----

meade916

i use this when i build model cars and want to strip the chrome plating off of the plastic pieces. buy a bottle of original liquid plumber. its in the white bittle. and just soak the parts in it. if it will work of the part you will nitice it after a few seconds. move the part around with a screwdriver too, that usually helps. then wash it with dish soap. only dish soap there is something in there that is like a wax remover dawn works the best. dry it wipe it with rubbing alchol. let it dry the primer and paint.

Thanks ill try that out, after a couple coats of the semi flat it actually looks decent. I am going to drop 40 on one of those killer can 2 step clear coat/hardeners and finish it up.

teamsundown-1.jpg