Problem after installing new dc 270 xp alt. Possible grounding issue???

So two days ago I installed my dc 270 xp al. Today on the way to work I realized that my headlights,dash lights, an other electronics in my car are dimming now, it never did that with my stock alt installed. What is interesting is when everything is dimming my voltage never drop below 14.1 volts. Im trying to figure this problem out, and im not sure what to check. It does this regardless of if I have the streo on or not. If I turn the engine off and have just the battery powering the car it does not do it. All wiring is Sky High 1/0 ofc with there copper lugs crimped with a 16 ton crimper. Alt to battery positive, battery ground to enging, engine ground to chassis are all done in the sjy high 1/0 ofc. Should I remove one of the alt mounting bolts and put a 1/0 ground cable straight from the alt case to a strut bolt? I do not have enough cable left to ground from the alt case straight to the battery. Somebody please help this is not making much since considering the voltage is not dropping.

2000 Toyota Camry With Sealed Off Trunk

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Gathering Parts For Wall Build.

Team DC Audio 2014 Member

I hate to tell you man, but you're probably gonna need to ground straight from the alternator case to the battery. I had this same issue and grounding from the strut tower may work but thats alot of extra pathways the electricity has to take in my eyes. I would just save and order more 1/0 and ground from alt case direct to battery and see if that helps it. I did this for my car after I installed my mechman alt i had this same issue and it worked.

THE ANTHRACITE DYC CRUISER

-Fully dipped anthracite grey pt cruiser

-4 skar vvx 12's (version 1)

-Mechman 240 amp alt -Big three in Cadence 1/0

-1 deka intimidator g31 blacktop under the hood

-1 C&D 140ah Batt & 1 C&D 55ah batt in the rear

-Re audio/soundstream mids and highs

-Hifonics Zues 600.4

-DC Audio 3.5k

ok looks like ill be getting ahold of jon at sky high today then.

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Yes switch it around right now before frying your alt. The stock connection between your alt ground and engine is probably not good enough.

Switch it out. Should take a couple minutes. Good luck.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Yes switch it around right now before frying your alt. The stock connection between your alt ground and engine is probably not good enough.

Switch it out. Should take a couple minutes. Good luck.

I am not using the stock connection I have sky high 1/0 straight from the alt case to the chassis. I do not have a long enough piece of 1/0 left to go from alt to battery so looks like I am screwed unitl the army cuts my damn check. This is just my luck. Currently I have SHCA 1/0 from alt case to chassis, engine to chassis, engine to battery, and alt posotive to battery.

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Just got off the phone with anythony from dc power. I am going to chage the ground to the battery tonight if my cable will reach. He is also going to send me a gm regulator and harness to change the toyota regulator to a gm which should solve the problem entirely and up my idle voltage to closer to 15 vols. It appears the issue is actually in the regulator the stock toyota harness uses and dc is currently working on an option that does not require the use of the gm regulator and harness.

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Guest DC Power Kyle

The GM regulator is going to be the best bet, if you're comfortable with changing the regulator out we can send it to you but I would prefer for you to send it back and we will just do the upgrade for free and cover shipping back.

Anthony said he would send it out to me I already new how to dissamble the rear cover and brush rack to get to the regulator and I solder everyday doing wiring for the Army so that is not an issue either. Kyle does switching over to the gm regulator and harness mean I will be able to use a in cab voltage controller like the gm trucks can? If so that would just be the cats ass lol.

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Guest DC Power Kyle

Anthony said he would send it out to me I already new how to dissamble the rear cover and brush rack to get to the regulator and I solder everyday doing wiring for the Army so that is not an issue either. Kyle does switching over to the gm regulator and harness mean I will be able to use a in cab voltage controller like the gm trucks can? If so that would just be the cats ass lol.

You can but they're already set at 15.1 so I don't see the purpose of using an AVBM. We've never personally tested an AVBM but you can do it if you really want to. Be careful with your batteries though cause anything higher than the set point that we have is dangerous.

Talked to anythony tonight and going to stick with the 15.1 it is set at. Also we have been discussing adual alt bracket with another 270xp

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Archived