Sundown Audio

Can subs be damaged from distortion over time? (too little power)

Bass Teen

Cooking voice coils is about heat applied over time. If you have a 1,000W RMS woofer that can't handle a continuous 200W of hard clipped test tones then it's not actually capable of handling 1,000W. This is in response to the "1/5 of RMS power" statement made earlier in the thread. Voice coils do not care if the signal is undistorted, distorted heavily, or clipped or un-clipped. However you can describe it, the woofer will just react to what goes through the voice coils. If it can handle the heat it won't be damaged.

If you have a flawed enclosure that isn't allowing the woofer to cool itself that's another matter.

just making sure you got this: learn how to use a voltage meter to set the gains. it'll do you a lot of good, and it's fun.

not trying to start an argument or anything but with my experience, setting gains with a multi meter doesn't work well. I have set my gain with one multiple times and I was never getting full power or potential out of it. another thing is say you have an amp that claims 2000 rms but only does 1000, if you set it with a multi meter at 2000 you are goanna be clipping to hell.

that's just my opinion.

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

just making sure you got this: learn how to use a voltage meter to set the gains. it'll do you a lot of good, and it's fun.

not trying to start an argument or anything but with my experience, setting gains with a multi meter doesn't work well. I have set my gain with one multiple times and I was never getting full power or potential out of it. another thing is say you have an amp that claims 2000 rms but only does 1000, if you set it with a multi meter at 2000 you are goanna be clipping to hell.

that's just my opinion.

It's the method I've always used and I've never had a problem with it. it's not foolproof and you can do it wrong, sure. I've been doing it that way long enough to know what I'm doing. I can even tune my crossovers with a multi meter.

if you tune an amp to an over rated spec then that's your own fault lol.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Cooking voice coils is about heat applied over time. If you have a 1,000W RMS woofer that can't handle a continuous 200W of hard clipped test tones then it's not actually capable of handling 1,000W. This is in response to the "1/5 of RMS power" statement made earlier in the thread. Voice coils do not care if the signal is undistorted, distorted heavily, or clipped or un-clipped. However you can describe it, the woofer will just react to what goes through the voice coils. If it can handle the heat it won't be damaged.

If you have a flawed enclosure that isn't allowing the woofer to cool itself that's another matter.

a heavily clipped signal means that power is flowing through the coil, creating heat, and the sub isn't moving nearly as much as it's supposed to be. that means the sub isn't cooling. so yes a small amount of power can blow a "1,000w" sub.

try hooking up a dual VC sub with one coil out of phase and put 200w on it. see what happens.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Ahh i see.

what amp would you guys recommend for 2 800 watt rms subs? 800 rms for one sub

A good one

Car audio .......nuff said lol ... just jokingIm a teenager currently studying law but all i can think about is car audio....

that's just my opinion.

It's the method I've always used and I've never had a problem with it. it's not foolproof and you can do it wrong, sure. I've been doing it that way long enough to know what I'm doing. I can even tune my crossovers with a multi meter.

if you tune an amp to an over rated spec then that's your own fault lol.

I meant like how some companies over rate their amps and if they claim 2000, and the set gain at 2000, but it actually puts out 1000, then you will be clipping. and I set my gain with a multi meter and it didn't work well for me. I have since then used my ear and It may take a bit longer but I can say I have gotten it 99% correct before. I checked with a dd-1 I borrowed from someone and it was correct. but everyone has their ways of doing things.

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

Archived