Sundown Audio

Can subs be damaged from distortion over time? (too little power)

Bass Teen

Ok I have researched this topic on the net and i got some info saying that subs can be destroyed if they are overpowered. My situation is the opposite.

In a nutshell, heres my scenario. I have 2 fosgates punch p3's (500w rms) 12''

I have an amp claiming to do 3000 but im sure 3 30 amp fuses won't probably do 2000 (i wont say the manufacturer's name)

So basically, stock alternator, no extra batteries......dual 12'' ported box.

These speakers pounded great for the first couple months and my Dad took out the vehicle and probably showed off a bit somewhere,

If i try to play these speakers today, the first one wont play at all and the second one will start smoking after a while.

Im thinking it can't be possible that they blew ....because im sure that amp is probably not pushing 1000 watts. (my head lights dim lol)

The same amp also damaged 2 kicker l5's (1200 watts max a piece) 12''

Also one Pioneer ( 1200 watts max) Champion series 12''

The kicker distorts ---dragging sound when i kinda press it in lightly with my thumb

The pioneer smokes just like the fosgates.

Really need opinions on this because I have seen a bunch of people stating that speakers cant be blown under too little power. The amp does get pretty low though. (in frequency)

I dont really know much so please help me out here, Should i get rid of the amp?

Car audio .......nuff said lol ... just jokingIm a teenager currently studying law but all i can think about is car audio....

Yep the amp is sending a clipped signal to the subs creating too much heat and frying the voice coil. A better amp will help but setting gains properly is the real solution to stop from frying your subs.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Out of curiosity how is the amp tuned?

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

I see . Thanks for the info

So i guess my ears deceived me ....all this time it was sending a clipped signal and i probably didnt realise. Ill set the gains to salvage future speakers

Again, thanks

Car audio .......nuff said lol ... just jokingIm a teenager currently studying law but all i can think about is car audio....

@ Dubin Dodge

Being completely honest.....i do not really know what that means? would that be my gain settings?

How did you set your gain? Clipping is a likely culprit

well my gain is all the way up

but my volume on my equalizer is less than half

and i don't really turn my deck up loud.

Did I damage my subs by setting the gain and the boost too high?

well my gain is all the way up

but my volume on my equalizer is less than half

and i don't really turn my deck up loud.

Did I damage my subs by setting the gain and the boost too high?

OUCH.. Biggest noob mistake. NEVER set your gain all the way up! Live and learn, now ya now. Start with it all the way down and slowly turn it up. Unless you have a dd-1, then don't go anywhere past half way up either, just to be safe.

Did you get that scar tissue when you got your vagina installed?

KNOWLEDGE DESTROYS FEAR Measure twice, cut once

JVC touchscreen HU Mmats E600.4

Realm L56c Audiophile 6.5 comps up front JBL P963 rear deck PB RTA 112 trunk CE Auto Big 3 Mechman 240alt D'Amore VM-1

Archived