Sonic Electronix

New to setups, need help with an idea.

Okay, so I'm doing my first setup in car audio soon. I was wanting to put some smaller subs, probably 6.25 to 8 inch, on the inside of my car. Reason for this being a lot of my songs have quick, punchy bass with longer rumbles of bass. I know smaller subs handle the quicker punches easier then larger subs, plus having them on the inside would improve the quality of the music overall.

Now I know a lot of you will say not to wire it to the same channel, I already know I'm not. I have my system idea setup to have tweeter, mids and lows, and sub channels. I'm going to put the subs with my mids, change the tuning on my signal processor to handle lower frequencies, then get another processor to handle the mid channel's mids and lows. Now if this works, I'd need help getting the frequencies right. I'll be using rca for my whole setup instead of speaker wire, I find rca easier to deal with. Now all of you please understand that I have no experience in audio setups, but I do have some crazy ideas.

I know the subs will require an enclosure, and I was thinking of modding my rear deck to do it with. My rear deck has two 6.5 and two 6x9 cutouts. Now I'm going to have speakers back there also (probably just fill that whole space side to side), so I was thinking of making a box to hold the speakers and the two subs, then port that box using the original speaker mounts. I know this probably sounds like a bad idea, but it'd work if I place the subs over the opening right?

If this doesn't work I'll just find another option for it. And if the whole idea of the two different types of subs doesn't work I'll just go with larger subs. The idea on paper works great, have punchy bass and thundering bass, along with sq and spl (I've heard sql but I don't think that actually exists), but the problem is if it works in the real life application.

Also, would someone kindly explain what adding more speakers actually does? My friend told me it increases db, but another friend told me it increases quality.

I'm wondering if this would actually work (sorry I don't have a legit diagram of this)

Head unit (only has 6 rca outs)

v

signal processor (6 channel- thinking about the kicker front row)

v

> highs > tweeters

> lows > subs

>mids

v

signal processor 2 (obviously a 4 channel)

v

> mids > speakers

> lows > small subs

i think your over completing it

idd go with 2 options

a good h/ and 5ch amp with some comps up front and coaxel or comps in the rear, with 1 or 2 subs in the rear

option 2 ditch the 5ch and get a 4ch and a mono

what car do you have?

what do you have already?

how much do you ant to spend? total

^I agree. to me it also sounds like you wont be using amps? you said you wanted to use RCA's instead of speaker wires. I may have this wrong so correct me if I do but to me it sounds like your are goanna run the speakers off of the processors. or by signal processors do you mean amps? you cant really run speakers directly off of signal processors. you need something to amplify the signal in order for the speakers to have sufficient output. what I would do is get a decent 4 cannel and a decent mono block (sub amp). That way you can run 4 sets of speakers on the 4 channel, and the sub amp runs the subs.

As far as speakers go I would get a good pair of either coaxels or components as John said. as far as what type of speakers that really depends on how much you wanna spend. if you let us know your budget it can help us get a better idea on what is ideal for you.

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

i think your over completing it

idd go with 2 options

a good h/ and 5ch amp with some comps up front and coaxel or comps in the rear, with 1 or 2 subs in the rear

option 2 ditch the 5ch and get a 4ch and a mono

what car do you have?

what do you have already?

how much do you ant to spend? total

^I agree. to me it also sounds like you wont be using amps? you said you wanted to use RCA's instead of speaker wires. I may have this wrong so correct me if I do but to me it sounds like your are goanna run the speakers off of the processors. or by signal processors do you mean amps? you cant really run speakers directly off of signal processors. you need something to amplify the signal in order for the speakers to have sufficient output. what I would do is get a decent 4 cannel and a decent mono block (sub amp). That way you can run 4 sets of speakers on the 4 channel, and the sub amp runs the subs.

As far as speakers go I would get a good pair of either coaxels or components as John said. as far as what type of speakers that really depends on how much you wanna spend. if you let us know your budget it can help us get a better idea on what is ideal for you.

Ok, I will be using amps. The power setup will come once I know what speakers and subs I'm getting. I'm just looking at the sound right now. I'm wanting the smaller subs for the punchy bass, since that's what smaller subs are for. Most speakers I've seen don't handle punchy bass.

I know I need to power it all, but as I said this is for the sound, not the power. I need the setup design first, then choose speakers, then choose amps. Sorry that it's complicated sounding.

Simpler version: Can I have smaller subs (6.5, 6.75, 8 inch) on the inside of my car, along with larger subs in my trunk? And I already know the two would have to be on separate channels cause two different size subs putting out the exact same beat would be shitty, that's why I'm separating the two. This way I get the punches, and the thundering bass.

As for the RCA, everything uses RCA; Head unit, signal processors, amps. I'd use RCA to connect all of them. The problem being is I don't know how many I would actually need until I have everything figured out.

So, can I get some help? Just going by the view on the sound setup and NOT the power, so don't think about amps right now, those come later.

Alright now I understand what your trying to do. In my opinion I would not do the smaller subs in the car and larger in the trunk. I would get a good set of components that will give you good midrange and then do two tens in the trunk. tens sound really good on music with punchy bass imo. the smallest size speaker that is truly considered a sub would be an eight so I don't think adding 2 6.5's in the car would really be worth it. I think you would be really happy with two tens.

You gotta have a good box too. your equipment Is only as good as your install. the box is what makes the subs come to life. crappy subs with a good box would sound better than expensive subs in a crappy box. if you need any help as far as box design feel free to PM me.

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

Pioneer has a good idea. Go with 2 10s in the back powered by a mono amp for sub stage. Then get a set of comps, and some midbass drivers, thats all you will really need. Get good quality equipment and you will have the sq you want and the volume level

My audio system

HU - Kenwood KDC bt755HD

Subs - Sundown SA 10 -2

Amplifier - CT Sounds 900.1

Car - 2013 scion TC

"It matter's not what other's think about you as long as you are happy with who you are"

"Great people didn't not sit around and wait for great thing's to come their way, they laced up their shoes, went out kicked some ass and made them happen"

"Until you've taken a long walk in my size 11 you have no right to judge me"

Musical interests: We came as romans, A Day To Remember, Three Days Grace, Disturbed, Story Of The Year, Atreyu, Breaking Benjamin, rise against, bullet for my valentine, red, skillet, Volbeat, alterbridge, creed, T.I., B.o.B, Eminem, T-pain,

Alright now I understand what your trying to do. In my opinion I would not do the smaller subs in the car and larger in the trunk. I would get s geed set of components that will give you good midrange and then do two tens in the trunk. tens sound really good on music with punchy bass imo. the smallest size speaker that is truly considered a sub would be an eight so I don't think adding 2 6.5's in the car would really be worth it. I think you would be really happy with two tens.

You gotta have a good box too. your equipment Is only as good as your install. the box is what makes the subs come to life. crappy subs with a good box would sound better than expensive subs in a crappy box. if you need any help as far as box design feel free to PM me.

Pioneer has a good idea. Go with 2 10s in the back powered by a mono amp for sub stage. Then get a set of comps, and some midbass drivers, thats all you will really need. Get good quality equipment and you will have the sq you want and the volume level

I was originally going to do the standard setup like that, but I want definite punchy bass and thundering bass. I listen to music that has punchy bass, then music that has thundering bass, so I'm trying to find a way to get the best of both. I haven't heard all speakers, but from all my friends having different brands, I can tell you that they don't have the punchyness I'm looking for.

I know its a crazy and somewhat bad idea.

Is it possible to get the 8 inches, tune them to a certain frequency set, then tune the larger subs to another frequency set? Have nice clean punchy bass, and clean thundering/rumbly bass. Is there any way to do this? I know I can do tweeters, speakers, subs; but I want tweeters, speakers, punchy subs, thundering/rumbly subs.

Maybe I'm just crazy and thinking of ideas that aren't possible yet.

Sorry for doubleposting, but for some clarification I have made a diagram.

Sorry for the horrible quality of it, but it's all I could do quickly.Rlf03bW.jpgAs you can see, I'm wanting to widen the "mid" to handle some lows, then have another crossover to split that into mids and lows. I know I'd have to spend hours of tuning to the right frequencies, but would it work?

The music itself will have a lot of control of the bass. The subs will be able to play it, if it is punchy like 5 finger death punch they will hit it, if its slower and more booming like 2 chainz they will play that way. It will be more about getting your box right, as it will control what your sub sounds like. Most people use 8s and 10s for rock but because the driver is in a box an 18 could play punchy music.

What you need is to figure out if you want sealed or ported cause thats what will make the difference. Or bandpass. And i still suggest 2 10s

What music do you listen to? - descriptive please and how much room do you have?

My audio system

HU - Kenwood KDC bt755HD

Subs - Sundown SA 10 -2

Car - 2013 scion TC

"It matter's not what other's think about you as long as you are happy with who you are"

"Great people didn't not sit around and wait for great thing's to come their way, they laced up their shoes, went out kicked some ass and made them happen"

Musical interests: We came as romans, A Day To Remember, Three Days Grace, Disturbed, Story Of The Year, Atreyu, Breaking Benjamin, rise against, bullet for my valentine, red, skillet, Volbeat, alterbridge, creed, T.I., B.o.B, Eminem, T-pain,

Sorry triple post

My audio system

HU - Kenwood KDC bt755HD

Subs - Sundown SA 10 -2

Car - 2013 scion TC

Archived