Sundown Audio

Amp shorting out? Help needed

SICKSPD

So if its not just poor adjustments on amp settings, what else could this clipping be caused by? Amp internals going out?

clipping is solely caused by the user (you) overdriving the amp. either by having certain settings turned up too high on the headunit, the eq, or the amp itself. or a combination.

I understand that it is caused by the user when gains are set too high and the amp is pushed beyond its limit but what I'm trying to say is that I never changed the any of the settings from how it was prior when it was producing clean strong bass. Now all of a sudden this clipping is all im getting when i try to even listen with bass at a moderate level

09 Challenger R/T (Audio system under construction):

• Pioneer AVH-X4500BT (PAC RP4CH11 harness)
  • (2) Sundown Audio SA-8v2 (inverted)
  • CT Sounds AT1400.1D
  • XS Power D3400
  • 40 sq ft. Audiotechnix deadener
  • 1/0 Audiotechnix wiring
  • stock Boston Acoustic 7 speaker amplified system (for now)
  • Sealed trunk enclosure

Build log:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/178399-slammed-dodge-challenger-sundownct-sounds-build/

TEAM GOAT

signature-1.jpgsubsignature.jpg

I understand that it is caused by the user when gains are set too high and the amp is pushed beyond its limit but what I'm trying to say is that I never changed the any of the settings from how it was prior when it was producing clean strong bass. Now all of a sudden this clipping is all im getting when i try to even listen with bass at a moderate level

Have u taken out the subs and checked ur coils? U could have burnt/blown something while experiencing hard clipping at one point or another that permanently damaged your system.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

I havent taken them out of the box but I'm led to believe its not the subs because I connected a different subto see what it would do and it had the same response

• CT Sounds AT1400.1D
  • XS Power D3400
  • Sealed trunk enclosure

Build log:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/178399-slammed-dodge-challenger-sundownct-sounds-build/

TEAM GOAT

Did you install anything new since it was working well? did you change any settings on your head unit or on your ipod if that's what you use? anything at all? one little thing can make a world of difference. sometimes when amps start to go bad the sound starts to fade or sound muddy coming from them. there is a couple things that I can think of that would cause it to go bad. first off what is your electrical like, if your running the amp as a 1700 watt amp on stock electrical your amp is probably straining pretty hard. also what are you wired to. if you are wired to an impedance that is too high or too low that could also stress the amp. by the way, if you are wired to 1ohm I'm not sure those type r's can handle that much power.

I would check everything. check your grounds and power wire and check to see if any wires may have came loose. I would take a multi meter and see what your voltage drops too. if it drops below 12 then that could be the problem (ideally you don't want it to drop below 12.6 or so). Also as Soccerballzs said hook up an ipod directly to the amp. if the problem still continues, then you know the problem is between the amp and subs, if it stops, its a problem up front with the HU or EQ.

also about the HU not turning on, my uncles did the same thing and he used to bring the faceplate inside every night which caused the problem to stop. so ya its because the cold. they don't like that.

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

Did you install anything new since it was working well? did you change any settings on your head unit or on your ipod if that's what you use? anything at all? one little thing can make a world of difference. sometimes when amps start to go bad the sound starts to fade or sound muddy coming from them. there is a couple things that I can think of that would cause it to go bad. first off what is your electrical like, if your running the amp as a 1700 watt amp on stock electrical your amp is probably straining pretty hard. also what are you wired to. if you are wired to an impedance that is too high or too low that could also stress the amp. by the way, if you are wired to 1ohm I'm not sure those type r's can handle that much power.

I would check everything. check your grounds and power wire and check to see if any wires may have came loose. I would take a multi meter and see what your voltage drops too. if it drops below 12 then that could be the problem (ideally you don't want it to drop below 12.6 or so). Also as Soccerballzs said hook up an ipod directly to the amp. if the problem still continues, then you know the problem is between the amp and subs, if it stops, its a problem up front with the HU or EQ.

also about the HU not turning on, my uncles did the same thing and he used to bring the faceplate inside every night which caused the problem to stop. so ya its because the cold. they don't like that.

As far as I recall when the muffled sounds started occurring it was less frequent and would happen like for just a couple seconds maybe once a week and then shortly afterwards it became continuous when i played music with the sub volume level higher than like 30%. I never made any adjustments to the amp itself. The only adjustments I made was tuning my clarion equalizer which ive done several times before it started messing up and afterwards. Im running the type r's at 2 ohms though the amp is rated to handle 1 ohm. Other than that my electrical system seems fine, Ive got 4 gauge wiring which might be subpar and I'm also running a 200 amp HO powermaster alt. I turned down all the gain settings on the amp just to see if it would help and it didnt seem to do anything. If it turns out to be an internal problem on the amp, how much could that set me back to get fixed?(no longer under warranty)

• CT Sounds AT1400.1D
  • XS Power D3400
  • Sealed trunk enclosure

Build log:

TEAM GOAT

Do you have another amp you can try?

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

Do you have another amp you can try?

tested the amp with a direction connection using just my ipod as the audio source. Its definitely coming from the amp itself. How much would an internal repair on a component cost? Is it something one can do by just soldering a new part on?

• CT Sounds AT1400.1D
  • XS Power D3400
  • Sealed trunk enclosure

Build log:

TEAM GOAT

you need to set your amp right.. the gain and bass knob is not a volume control.. if youre going to use the knob put it at max then tune the gain. the amp could still be working but you are over working it

by the way.. how is your electrical? have you done the big 3. do you have a HO alt. what batteries do you have what wire are you running? you could be going to 9v at the amp. seen it happen

Archived