Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Flexible Box? Driver swap? (first post)


dreuosborn

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello everyone! first off I want to say I have been browsing these forums for a long time now and the information to be learned here is unlike any other forum I have ever experienced. its like a car audio archive, so to everyone who takes part, you should know you are appreciated. people like me are forever in debt to members like you.

I have built a few enclosures before but would like to take my building to the next level in terms of how strong it is, its tuning, driver flexibility now i'm looking for any ideas or input anyone may have for a new one.

The numbers (max dimensions): 17 Inches High---37.5 Wide---21 Inches Deep and I listen to rap and like the lower end of normal tuning ( had a box at 32 hrz that got Stupid and was everything I wanted but the box wasn't strong enough, current box is around 35 and noticeably drops off at the lower end)

The current woofers are alpine type s 15's (2) Im interested in the idea of a flexible box that I could put soundqubed HDC3's or FI Q when the money is together. Current amp is a AQ-2200.1 but upon buying the replacement subs will be joined by another 2200.1

I am prepared to spend the time for this box to be the greatest it can be. Routing, Fiberglassing, 45's the whole nine.

I know that's alot to take in, and a big first post. But thank you for any suggestions or ideas anyone is willing to share

Posted

When you say your previous box wasn't strong enough, are you referring to it fell apart or something like that?

FI BL18 Build Log: CLICK HERE!!

2003 Explorer Sport:

FI BL18

SoundQubed 2200 at 0.7ohm

Pioneer DEH-2500UI

Pioneer 6 x 8s

Rockford Fosgate 6 x 9s

5 ft^3 box at 35hz

Lots of Mega Mat

SkyHighCarAudio_zpse6b4e501.png3abb2365-8d29-422d-a446-efa7a74b8dba_zps70e62980.jpgFILogo_zps400b37c1.jpg

Posted

It was a learning curve build. Builders error, The faceplate flexed alot, didn't know how to properly carpet, may or may not have had some air leaks goin on. the design was fantastic but the builder was not.

Posted

Well if that design worked well for you previously...then build it again, but spend the time to build it right and make it look good while you're at it.

FI BL18 Build Log: CLICK HERE!!

2003 Explorer Sport:

FI BL18

SoundQubed 2200 at 0.7ohm

Pioneer DEH-2500UI

Pioneer 6 x 8s

Rockford Fosgate 6 x 9s

5 ft^3 box at 35hz

Lots of Mega Mat

SkyHighCarAudio_zpse6b4e501.png3abb2365-8d29-422d-a446-efa7a74b8dba_zps70e62980.jpgFILogo_zps400b37c1.jpg

Posted

That may be how it goes. I just don't know if that design had enough port area for HDC3's Or FI Q's

How much port area did it have?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

welcome to the forum! Its nice to hear of someone else running type S 15's. I don't see them getting used all that much. sorry I don't have a box design idea

Build's consist of:

2004 Chevy Impala :

Pioneer--------------------- DEH-X8600bs Soundqubed/AQ------ Q4-120

Rockford Fosgate---- Punch-500.4

Soundqubed/AQ----- Q1-3500D.1 Alpine----------------- 6.5's & 6x9's

Subs: TBA All Knukonceptz and SHCA wire and rca's

Home Music Setup

(4) Soundqubed HDS200 15's in two separate 15.5 cubic foot enclosures tuned to 31 hrz --- XM radio hardwire

Updates coming all the time on both builds

n8ball2013

"bullshit. Everything fits. If you cut enough."

Posted

It was 6 cube's with a port 5-7/8th's inches wide 17 inches high port in the middle. I don't know what that works out to.

Ok, so that's about 100 square inches. That would be around the right size for one 15" HDC3 or FI Q, but certainly not two!

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5496 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...