Second Skin Audio

Calculating port area with xmax?

shanesauce

Excuse me for the noob question but I saw something the other day in one of these threads about calculating port area of a box with the xmax of a sub?

I know the standard is 12-16 per foot but this person was swearing that was the wrong way to go about it.

Can anybody help me out and explain this forumla and why it will yield a better sounding box?

- 2012 Mustang 3.7 Manual

- Audio under construction

Your excactly right I can't answer the question because I don't know but I'm pretty sure it has to do withthe xmax and cone area of the sub I think I know the loudspeaker cookbook has a lot of good reading in it for this

My setup,

Digital Designs M80

3 Re audio 10's ported tuned to 36 hz

Kenwood x-696

SHCA 0 gauge

Polk audio coax running off hu

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Okay, so with that calculator I entered (2) 8" drivers with a xmax of 16.5mm one way @ 32 hz and it told me 27 inches of port area?!?

This seems to be a bit odd, could someone verify this? And would that 27 inches of port be per cube gross or net?

It's not per cubic foot, just straight 27 sq inches.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Hey Shane, it was probably me you saw saying the whole 12-16 sq. in. per cube is the wrong way to do it. Actually its not that is necessarily wrong, its just not the best way to do it. The links Krakin posted will get you pointed in the right direction. If you want to see where I learned about it you can see it here at the bottom of the page: https://www.trueaudio.com/st_ventq.htm

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Hey Shane, it was probably me you saw saying the whole 12-16 sq. in. per cube is the wrong way to do it. Actually its not that is necessarily wrong, its just not the best way to do it. The links Krakin posted will get you pointed in the right direction. If you want to see where I learned about it you can see it here at the bottom of the page: https://www.trueaudio.com/st_ventq.htm

If I remember correctly it was a guy that had a speaker as his picture, I know that doesn't narrow it down too much lol.

But thanks again for the information guys, what is crazy is the gross on this box is 2.5cuft and the net I end up with after port is 1.37!!!

A 3" wide port and 58 inches of port length is a lot to fit into a box for 2 8's!

:drink40:

If I remember correctly it was a guy that had a speaker as his picture, I know that doesn't narrow it down too much lol.

But thanks again for the information guys, what is crazy is the gross on this box is 2.5cuft and the net I end up with after port is 1.37!!!

A 3" wide port and 58 inches of port length is a lot to fit into a box for 2 8's!

That would be me. Thats a picture I took of my Fi SP4.

Anyways, the 12-16 sq in per cube is wrong. Its only that it sometimes happens to be close to the correct amount of port (usually when you get closer to 16sq in per cube). But it is still not the way to do it, port area depends on the subwoofer(s) and the tuning frequency, each subwoofer is designed differently and will need its enclosure to be designed differently. The enclosure has a HUGE effect on the performance of a sound system. And also you say that your net volume is 1.37 cubic feet, that should be right about what you want depending on the subwoofers. Most 8" need about .5 to .75 cubic feet each correct?

Chevrolet Tahoe

Crescendo PWX6 (2) and FT1 (2)

Fi Audio SP4 15" (1), AQ3500D.1 (1)

Enclosure: 4th Order (Ported) 4.5cu ft @26Hz

Mechman Elite 370A & Kinetik HC2000

Sky High 2/0 Wire

Future Plans: (2) 18" @25Hz

That would be me. Thats a picture I took of my Fi SP4.

Anyways, the 12-16 sq in per cube is wrong. Its only that it sometimes happens to be close to the correct amount of port (usually when you get closer to 16sq in per cube). But it is still not the way to do it, port area depends on the subwoofer(s) and the tuning frequency, each subwoofer is designed differently and will need its enclosure to be designed differently. The enclosure has a HUGE effect on the performance of a sound system. And also you say that your net volume is 1.37 cubic feet, that should be right about what you want depending on the subwoofers. Most 8" need about .5 to .75 cubic feet each correct?

Yes, you are the one I was referring to but I couldn't find the thread that you posted in.

I preach to all of my not so audio savvy friends that the box makes the build but of course they don't listen.

I am at 1.37 net with 1.2 after subs and the SA-8's like 0.5-0.6 according to Jacob. Port is at 27 square inches and 52 inches long if I remember correctly.

Just curious do aero ports still get the same treatment in terms of needing less port area?

Archived