dreuosborn Posted November 12, 2013 Report Posted November 12, 2013 Triticum Agricolam? Joe X? Im losin it over here in washington I have built a few enclosures before but would like to take my building to the next level in terms of how strong it is, its tuning, driver flexibility now i'm looking for any ideas or input anyone may have for a new one. The numbers (max dimensions): 17 Inches High---37.5 Wide---21 Inches Deep and I listen to rap and like the lower end of normal tuning ( had a box at 32 hrz that got Stupid and was everything I wanted but the box wasn't strong enough, current box is around 35 and noticeably drops off at the lower end) The current woofers are alpine type s 15's (2) Im interested in the idea of a flexible box that I could put soundqubed HDC3's or FI Q when the money is together. Current amp is a AQ-2200.1 but upon buying the replacement subs will be joined by another 2200.1 I am prepared to spend the time for this box to be the greatest it can be. Routing, Fiberglassing, 45's the whole nine. I know that's alot to take in, and a big first post. But thank you for any suggestions or ideas anyone is willing to share
Triticum Agricolam Posted November 12, 2013 Report Posted November 12, 2013 So the biggest problem I see is you don't have enough space to work with. 17 x 37.5 x 21" will only get you like 6.3 cu. ft. of internal volume, and that's the best case scenario. That's a fair amount of space but not when it comes to two 15"s The 15" HDC and FI Q both have huge displacements and are going to work best with LOTS of port area, and I mean LOTS. While it is very much possible to build a box that would work well enough with what you have now and allow you to upgrade to something better down the road you just don't have the space to do it. Also all the advanced box building stuff like kerfed ports and lots of bracing will eat up even more of the space you don't have to spare. Now if it were me I'd be looking at going to either one 15" or two 12" in the future. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's my take on it. I'd love to hear what other folks have to say about it. BTW, what part of Washington are you in? "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
dreuosborn Posted November 12, 2013 Author Report Posted November 12, 2013 What if I built it in the car? I can loosen up the max dimensions up a few inches on all sides except the height, How much more room would i need to make? how close is it? or is it a lost cause I know im stubborn, I just really like 15's. to the point that I will make pretty significant sacrifices in order to make it work (ease of work, cutting sheet metal,) Vancouver Washington though! grew up in the trees
BoomZoom808 Posted November 12, 2013 Report Posted November 12, 2013 Do you have your heart set on those subs? You need ideally 10 cubes. Might want to try a different 15 that needs less airspace. 2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS Knu OFC 1/0 SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750 Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5 IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12
dreuosborn Posted November 12, 2013 Author Report Posted November 12, 2013 Do you have your heart set on those subs? You need ideally 10 cubes. Might want to try a different 15 that needs less airspace. No im not set on them, I would be open to other ideas. Although I want to take a big step up from the motor force that the type s 15's had. I have heard that sundowns zv3 and zv4 like small boxes.
Triticum Agricolam Posted November 12, 2013 Report Posted November 12, 2013 No im not set on them, I would be open to other ideas. Although I want to take a big step up from the motor force that the type s 15's had. I have heard that sundowns zv3 and zv4 like small boxes. The Sundown subs may like a slightly smaller box, but its not going to be enough smaller. Sorry man but you just don't have the room for two high performance 15"s. Like BoomZoom said, you are looking at like 10 cubes to do it right. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
dreuosborn Posted November 12, 2013 Author Report Posted November 12, 2013 No im not set on them, I would be open to other ideas. Although I want to take a big step up from the motor force that the type s 15's had. I have heard that sundowns zv3 and zv4 like small boxes. The Sundown subs may like a slightly smaller box, but its not going to be enough smaller. Sorry man but you just don't have the room for two high performance 15"s. Like BoomZoom said, you are looking at like 10 cubes to do it right. Alright you have convinced me. Fi Q 12's it is. they want 2.5 cubes at the top end. that would work right?
Triticum Agricolam Posted November 12, 2013 Report Posted November 12, 2013 Alright you have convinced me. Fi Q 12's it is. they want 2.5 cubes at the top end. that would work right? Yeah we can probably make the 12's fit, its still going to be tight though. I can work up a design later to give you an idea of what it could look like. You like having the port in the middle between the drivers or on one end? "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
dreuosborn Posted November 12, 2013 Author Report Posted November 12, 2013 Yeah we can probably make the 12's fit, its still going to be tight though. I can work up a design later to give you an idea of what it could look like. You like having the port in the middle between the drivers or on one end? That would be pretty fantastic, thank you so much for your time! Port in the middle is great, and I don't mean to be a pain but if there is anyway you can make it a double layer of 3/4 MDF on the face of it that would be perfect. Basically as big as we can go so that I don't F the tuning if I do 45's and fiberglassing. I can free up 2-3 inches on the max depth, and an inch on its max width if I build it inside the car this forum is the only thing keeping me sane with all this medical shit going on so I cant thank you enough for what you are doing for me at the moment.
Triticum Agricolam Posted November 13, 2013 Report Posted November 13, 2013 OK here is what I came up with: Now for the bad news. I had to make some design compromises to make this fit in your space. First off I wish the port was a lot bigger. Those drivers have ridiculous excursion and the need an equally ridiculous amount of port. I couldn't do that or there wouldn't be any room left. So if you put enough power to this I can't promise you won't get port noise. I think it will take a LOT before that will happen though. The second design compromise is you only have 1.8 cubes per driver, not the 2.5 you wanted, but as you can see there just isn't room. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.