96 4Runner with 2 Fi Q 18s (lots of pics)

hey man, out of curiosity, did you choose sealed just because of the space required?

I've always preferred sealed boxes. I've built and installed a lot of stereos, and tried a lot of different things, but for a daily, I prefer sealed.

Realistically, I wasn't planning on it being an SPL car at all (and it's not). Not saying I did an SQ build because I definitely didn't do that either. But I definitely maintained a very musical setup.

It plays very flat across 30-80, and hits higher and lower just fine.

It's matched very well with my mids and highs at all volumes (at full tilt they fall a little behind, but it's honestly preferred so I don't destroy my ears on long drives). So I can play rock and such without it being too boomy. It truly is a driver car still. I drive people around all the time, which is why I chose to keep all my seats, and stay with covered door speakers. And having space in the back lets me put things there when I need space unexpectedly.

A lot of things went into it. Not as much space requirements as preference and overall needs. If I wanted strict spl, I would have done two team Fi 15s vented on 9k, and had more trunk space haha

Plus. Who else has sealed 18s. I enjoyed the mental challenge of making it work, and I honestly got more than I expected out of it.

Granted SBN makes me want more, but I have to calm down and think about how perfect this setup is for what I need/want right now.

That answer your questions? Haha

Yes I have a lot of stereo weight. I build for Smiles Per Gallon not Miles Per Gallon LOLZ

My build - 1996 4Runner with 2 18s - 149+ in a sealed box (with radiators)

0a4ee87c-28c8-4bf8-9dfe-5a06b9dea2dc_zps

3e3eb9dd-70f8-4424-ad11-ccebcd929ac4_zps

perfectly haha thanks

I think you have a bit of truck stuck in your mud bro

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470
1/0ga stinger wiring for big 3
1/0ga ofc flextech wiring

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

in a 27Hz tuned ported box

LE BUILD LOG!!!

I'm very impressed with this build I say leave the wires to show off the neatness & wire you have, good job!

William - Metter,Ga. Dad, Self Installer/Fabricator & Repair Tech, Weightlifter, Motivator,

Team SKAR Audio Captain, Team Deadly Hertz Georgia Leader
99 Toyota 4Runner SR5, "Rolling Thunder"
Daily Driven, No Wall, C-Pillar Build, BASS LIFE!
2K16 SBN MECA Park and Pound DB3 Champion
2K16 SBN ISPLL Real SPL Class F Champion
Second Skin Damplifier Pro, Kenwood eXcelon KDC X498, Clarion EQ, Knukonceptz RCA's
The Big 3, Sky High Car Audio OFC & Kicker Hyperflex Silver Tinned 1/0 Gauge
Singer 340a Alt, Northstar NSB-AGM31, SMSAGM480, 12 NessCaps Super Caps
Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty Line Driver, The Oval Port Tuned To 31 Hz, CNC Machined
4 SKAR ZVXv2 D2 15's, 2 SKAR SK-4500.1's, 4 SKAR PAX 6.5's, 2 SKAR LP-80.4's

SKAR_468x60.jpg

MEMBER OF THE YEAR 2013
16018870_large.jpg
If you don't have any haters, get some, best motivation there is...

Yeah the wire will likely stay exposed. The battery bank box is wrapped already, so it's done.

I'm not in a huge hurry to wrap the sub box, since I have to fix my hatch to be able to wrap the back.

System of the month is my main drive to do it.

It will likely remain untouched all together until summer when I am back to my shop and not in school.

I also may delete sunroof. It sounds pretty violent now. Bass did a number on the slider tracks

Yes I have a lot of stereo weight. I build for Smiles Per Gallon not Miles Per Gallon LOLZ

• 2 months later...

Well after Slamology, I'm craving more

Currently planning a rebuild.
I really want to do a 4th order, because I love the musical qualities of sealed over ported, and a 4th combines that and output volume.

But...For now, I am thinking of making my current box into a radiator setup.
If you go back to the beginning of this build, you will know that I love radiators.
I have built three setups before, all tuned differently, and I was happy with each.

I am already unique enough having 18s in a sealed setup. Might as well continue that and do radiators too haha

• 3 months later...

It has been quite some time since I’ve updated this thread, but I have loads of pictures and changes that have happened.

This probably makes it better for you as a reader because you get a lot more material at once.

I’m not really sure where to start, so I may ramble a bit. I know I have a lot to say, but I will undoubtedly miss a lot as well.
I’ll start with a relatively brief write-up, then an excessive amount of pictures with captions following.

Like most of us, I quickly wanted more out of my setup. Going to SBN 2014 and Slamology 2014 pretty much showed me that I am not even close to loud. Prior to that, I had never heard anything louder than my own setup, so my comprehension of loud was based solely off of videos.

I was by no means disappointed by my setup, but there was definitely room for improvement and upgrade. I was very happy with the ability to ride at full tilt for hours upon hours. Coils do an excellent job of staying cool, especially considering they are in a sealed box. Over time, I found that the amps were getting hotter and hotter, but never seemed to have any issues. Regardless, I wanted more. I was very pleased with its abilities at cruising volumes, but there was no headroom to go above that, meaning I was pretty much not impressed by my own demos haha. Also, I found my mids and highs lacking on some songs, and had no room to cleanly increase their output. It was time for more.

Since I am in pharmacy school away from my house and tools, my free time to work on the car is extremely limited. All plans that I make essentially have to be able to be completed in a weekend, which means I take months to plan out EVERYTHING in my head, and hoard a stockpile of parts, with the hope that I don’t overlook anything I may need.

I’ll list my parts and plans (as of now) and then let the pictures carry the build after that.

iPad dash

80prs

4 LC1s (one for 18s, one for 8s, one for fronts, and one for rears (I have no plans of using the one for rears, but its easy now, and I like symmetry)) – this gives me pretty omnipotent control over the system, which should allow me to go excessive with lows, mid lows, mids, and highs, but still be able to enjoy all types of music with some minor tweaking.

Stinger volt meter in the stock clock location (as before, but will be wired to front battery)

SMD VM1 (at rear battery bank)

SMD OM1 (at one of the sub amps)

SMD TM1 – I bought this a while ago. I have had good success without fans, but might as well be safe

Remote turn-on switches for 18s and 8s independently (I always run in case someone other than me drives the car, I can guarantee they don’t go too far, or at all)

2 PSI-8s with high-performance – originally planned for center console, but I am not happy with any layout options, so they will probably end up in the doors

4 Crescendo symphony s550/2s (one for rear doors, one for front door tweets, one for front door mids, one for 8s)

4 Crescendo symphony s1500/1 (one per coil of whatever sub I end up with)

1 pair of crescendo mezzos for the rear doors

ToolMaker 1/0-1/0 reducers for the 1500s

ToolMaker 1/0-4 reducers for the 550s

CNF Distribution 8 terminal post distribution blocks

A ton of SHCA products (RCAs, remote wire, speaker wire, 1/0 and 8 gauge ring terminals, etc)

2 PSI 18” Passive radiators

Above are all parts I already have

I still need to get 4 pairs of mezzos (if I can fit them)

I want to do 6 8” passive radiators in the doors if I can fit them

I have no idea what subs I want to end with. I am pretty happy with my Fi Qs overall. If I could have PSI recone them to handle 1500 per coil (before rise), I will stick with them. I am weary of going to something with a ton of motor force (such as a PSI platform 3) as they will not be gentle (or optimal) in a sealed box or with radiators.

One thing I really need to track down is a matching vinyl for the customs doors I want to make. I’m not sure where to even start with that.

Anyway, I think that is everything. Now for pictures and such.

Archived