Need Expert Help - Troubleshooting Alt Whine!

I don't want to go too much into detail, but I am MECP certified, and have tried everything in the book except HU or AMP swap.

I am running

-DEH-680p HU

-RF 200.2 on 6.5" infinity components (crossovers located in doors away from factory wiring or magnetic interference zones)

-Bxi1206d on kicker 15

-Somewhat standard RF and stinger RCA

Basically i'm getting an interference noise when my deck is on. When the engine is turned on and revs, the noise varies with rpm. One thing i just noticed the other day is when my car is off and my 4-way flashers are turned on, the noise varies with that tooo..... I've been talking with the master installers with best buy corporate and after trying everything in the book, they think it is the pioneer HU. Other shops have seen pioneer units cause this noise when both high and sub amp are run. They said solution was to cut back coating on RCA and ground the outer part of the coaxial to a common ground. This did not seem to help. I plan on swapping out my pioneer for an alpine to see if that helps too. Otherwise it may be the RF amp. Obviously, when only one amp of the other is connected, the noise goes away.

After trying everything in my car, the battery groudn is solid ON MY FRAME (0ga.)

deck is groudned with 8ga. wire to a spot right next to where my sub amp and next to where high amp is groudned (belive me this isn't necisarraly the ideal way to do it, but it eliminated the most noise, same ground path

anyone experienced pioneers causeing noise?

-------------------------------------------------

1st place circuit city car/spl show (maplewood,MN) 2006

146.6 dB's with 2 12" L7 and 1606d brutus

pioneers always cause noise. take a piece of wire, put it on the outer part of the rca connection, and touch it to the head unit cage. and you said you have your head unit grounded by your amp? where is your amp located. from what i hear, that ground is LONG as hell.

duck.jpgSMDsigbannr9.jpg

pioneers always cause noise. take a piece of wire, put it on the outer part of the rca connection, and touch it to the head unit cage. and you said you have your head unit grounded by your amp? where is your amp located. from what i hear, that ground is LONG as hell.

wow, i'll try that HU cage trick.

And sure the deck groudn is long, but i tried groudning it up front to firewall, and the way i have it now gets rid of more nosie, but only a fractional amount. The deck groudn is definatily not th emain problem. I think i've eliminated most ground loop issues.

Didnt think there were any master installers left at bby, not that I know of anyway.

First step is... identify

Is it induced noise? ground loop? or other?

second step.......isolate, run a new set of rca's over the seats, still there??

swap a deck... still there???

When it goes away, let me know what component it was, or if it was install related.

Was is the vehicle?

What is the resistance between the batt neg. and the ground point on the firewall?

where is the exact ground point for the highs amp?

Is it secondary sheet metal?

that should keep you busy

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Didnt think there were any master installers left at bby, not that I know of anyway.

First step is... identify

Is it induced noise? ground loop? or other?

second step.......isolate, run a new set of rca's over the seats, still there??

swap a deck... still there???

When it goes away, let me know what component it was, or if it was install related.

Was is the vehicle?

What is the resistance between the batt neg. and the ground point on the firewall?

where is the exact ground point for the highs amp?

Is it secondary sheet metal?

that should keep you busy

I appreciate all the advice, but belive me i'm very competent and have tried all of the above except deck swap. The one thing you might be able to help me with is i am almost positive it is alt whine.... buy why is it making noise when my engine is off... why do my 4 way flashers cause the noise to vary....

I'll tell ya one thing, when spring break comes this next week, i'm gonna tear out every bit of carpet , every seat, and do whatever it takes to fix it, even if i need a new HU

wow, this looks like a winner, i have a calc III exam to study all week, but i'll try that first thing friday maybe

Sounds like a bad ground. if the flashers are affecting it.

If you lost a ground and the headunit was on with the rca's plugged in it will pop the fast blow inside the deck, causing stupid amounts of noise but that would be a bad install.

But Im sure you got it.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Archived