Second Skin Audio

Going Sealed or Staying Ported

Parker Smith

Did anyone mention that the Harley trucks had bucket seats in the back? We've done that swap from bench to buckets to gain space back there. Search may take a while to find some but it has been done.

Otherwise custom center console front to back. Or use JL's stealth box as a guideline and build something similar or even consider kind of back-halfing the console. Leave the front where it meets with the dash but from the storage lid back rebuild it and form it in.

There's lots of space in that cab. You just have to get creative.

That is an option. However from what I have found the seats are rather expensive due to rarity. However I could maybe extend the box to take place of my front cupholders/storage bin as it would be a cheaper option I think.

qw58.jpg

That is my current box.

So you guys don't think that going to the 2 10's sealed would benefit me any?

I might could get my shop to trade my Type R for a Hertz 8 inch woofer instead of the PG if that really is the only good option I have without seat removal

That box will likely act basically as sealed at a higher output due to the port. The sub is very capable and can handle over 1KW and can work well in small airspace I don't think an 8" will benefit you.

I would take measurements of the box (width height depth) and the port (width height length) and post them over here.

Also if the sub is a D4 you can only wire to 2 ohm, most amps will do rated at one ohm final load so check that too. For a single sub setup you pick a D2 usually.

qw58.jpg

That is my current box.

So you guys don't think that going to the 2 10's sealed would benefit me any?

I might could get my shop to trade my Type R for a Hertz 8 inch woofer instead of the PG if that really is the only good option I have without seat removal

That box will likely act basically as sealed at a higher output due to the port. The sub is very capable and can handle over 1KW and can work well in small airspace I don't think an 8" will benefit you.

I would take measurements of the box (width height depth) and the port (width height length) and post them over here.

Also if the sub is a D4 you can only wire to 2 ohm, most amps will do rated at one ohm final load so check that too. For a single sub setup you pick a D2 usually.

Thanks for the info! I will take some measurements tomorrow in the day light.

And I got the D4 because my amp's birthseet says over 1300 watts at 1 ohm. It's rated at 900 watts at 2 ohms and so I figure the sub is getting pretty much right at rms. It already gets smelly after a while of playing so I would think it wouldn't like any more power haha

Archived