Parker Smith Posted November 23, 2013 Report Posted November 23, 2013 I drive a 2002 F150 Supercrew and as far as space for subs go, I have just about the worst vehicle possible. My first setup was a single 10 inch Memphis PR in a ported box under the seat. A few months ago I had a ported console box made and an Alpine Type R 10D4 installed. Due to my space restrictions, the port is too small and I was experiencing port compression. To try and remedy this, I lined the walls if my box with polyfill. I expressed my experience in another thread. Here's my question: The shop I get my work done at said they would swap out my Type R for the slightly more expensive Phoenix Gold TI2 to see if it will react better to my box. With black Friday coming up, I am considering buying a 2nd TI2 and going sealed due to, once again my space restrictions. Would I gain anything by doing this? I will be using my RF 1200 at 1 ohm to power them. P.S. Not trying to make this a VS. thread. Just want to know which setup I would benefit more from overall.
truthsayer Posted November 23, 2013 Report Posted November 23, 2013 Are you going for a SPL set up or SQ or both? truthsayer
Tarball Posted November 23, 2013 Report Posted November 23, 2013 You may want to consider dropping down to a smaller driver if you have a severe limit of available space. A 10 or 12 is not going to sound good in not enough space. CURRENT SYSTEM: Alternator: Stock alt on mids/highs Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v Batteries: (2) XS D1400s Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks Headunit: 80-PRS Sub Amp: DC 5.0k Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal. Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4 Active Components: Mids RE XXX 6.5c Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar) Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab. Build Log If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db
Krakin Posted November 23, 2013 Report Posted November 23, 2013 If keeping the same enclosure you need either less cone area or less xmax. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
truthsayer Posted November 23, 2013 Report Posted November 23, 2013 Take out the rear seat and you can pretty much do what you desire. If your concerned about seating, make a custom box that you can still connect the back of the seats to. I've seen it done once, looked good and wasnt bad to sit on either. Just make sure to add a little padding. truthsayer
Parker Smith Posted November 23, 2013 Author Report Posted November 23, 2013 I don't want my setup to sound sloppy but I really want more SPL than what I currently have. I was hoping that by going to double the cone area and not able to have the proper port size, along with being able to achieve the proper size for a sealed box that I might gain a little SQ and SPL.
johnarias15 Posted November 23, 2013 Report Posted November 23, 2013 A high performance 8" subwoofer would give you more SPL than a 10" since the 8" requires less port area than the 10. 2010 GMC Sierra SLE Texas Edition Sky High 2/0 OFC Wiring 2 Digital Designs 1508's Supercharged Digital Designs Door Speakers Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp Rockford Fosgate Prime 300x4 Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 SMD VM-1 XS Power D3400
Krakin Posted November 23, 2013 Report Posted November 23, 2013 Also have to consider if you can fit the the length of the new port within the restraints. Designing an enclosure for an 8" driver the low net volume calls for long lengths for low tuning. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
Parker Smith Posted November 23, 2013 Author Report Posted November 23, 2013 That is my current box. So you guys don't think that going to the 2 10's sealed would benefit me any? I might could get my shop to trade my Type R for a Hertz 8 inch woofer instead of the PG if that really is the only good option I have without seat removal
johnarias15 Posted November 23, 2013 Report Posted November 23, 2013 Yeah, I ran 2 Sealed Pioneer 10's and output was not what I wanted. Changed to 2 Digital Designs 1508's ported and I'm very impressed. 2010 GMC Sierra SLE Texas Edition Sky High 2/0 OFC Wiring 2 Digital Designs 1508's Supercharged Digital Designs Door Speakers Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp Rockford Fosgate Prime 300x4 Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 SMD VM-1 XS Power D3400
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.