any nuclear physicists in here by chance?

Physics hw lol the problem is to find out how much uranium it would take in a nuclear fission reaction to make enough energy to power the USA for a year

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

A joule is a (kilogram * meter squared)/ second squared so you can't directly convert from joules to kilograms.

Not trying to convert... it's a nuclear reaction... one atom of uranium produces x amount of energy and weighs y amount... I'm trying to find out how much y amount it would take for x amount to equal the amount of energy the USA consumes in a year

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

My units came out fine I got it to kg... my numbers are just off somewhere and idk where

My Build Log

I'm too lazy to read through everything. I would start by analyzing the mother daughter mass relationship for a single reaction so you U235 + a neutron =U236. U236 decays into CS137+RB95+4 neutrons. There will be a mass difference. You calculate the energy released by E= delta mass *c^2. Now you divide total energy wanted by the calculated energy release. That's how many U235 atoms you need. 235amu*1.66e-27=weight of one Uranium Atom in kilograms. Multiply Number of atoms needed by the calculated weight.

1997 Lexus ES300

HU - Pioneer MVH 7350

Processor - Helix DSP

Front Stage - JBL P660C

Mid/high amp - Alpine PDX-F4

Subs - 1 IA Death Penalty 12

Sub Amp - Cactus Sounds PF300.1

Also for future reference when you post/ask questions like this it's always helpful to post the formula(s) you used in terms of variables. Any tutors or people helping you would appreciate it. They can generally figure it out, but its like wading through molasses sometimes. Once you plug numbers into the equation it becomes more difficult to discern the methodology of your solution. Some of it may be right, some of it may be extraneous, and some of it may be wrong.

Aslo check out hyperphysics, it's a great resource and you can google UTK Physics courses on the web to get access to some class modules that may offer some insight into certain problems...may require a bit of digging...lol

1997 Lexus ES300

HU - Pioneer MVH 7350

Processor - Helix DSP

Front Stage - JBL P660C

whoops apparently got the fission reaction wrong. Did your prof state which reaction to use? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium-235 and http://electron6.phys.utk.edu/phys250/modules/module%205/nuclear_energy.htm would be good resources too :P

1997 Lexus ES300

HU - Pioneer MVH 7350

Processor - Helix DSP

Front Stage - JBL P660C

he just gave us that optimally it will produce 200MeV of energy

so I've already got the E, and what I did in my equation is pretty much the same as what you did just I did how much a proton weighs times how many protons are in U and how much a neutron weighs times how many neutrons are in U and added them together and these were the weights I found somewhere and used 1.675e-27kg neutron 1.672e-27kg proton I'll try it with the number you said and see if that works better

My Build Log

oooohhh!!!!!!!!! I know what I did wrong... :Doh: I did some bad mental math with my scientific conversions and when I divided jueles wanted by jueles per atom I added my exponents instead of inverting and then adding my exponents... :Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

... I think...

came up with 1133728.125kg of U235 would produce 9.3e19 J assuming a perfect fission

My Build Log

My neighbor graduates 2014 spring for this, we get our science on (not currently in school but 3 years Bio chem (i know, not much)) and he blows my damn mind sometimes with this stuff! I can't help with this but just wanted to post giving credit to you guys who do this/study this. You guys are literally geniuses!

oops I also forgot to convert MeV to eV :(

My Build Log

Archived