Aftermarket remote window roll-down issues, 2001 civic

I just picked up a 2001 Honda Civic EX coupe. The exterior door handles have been shaved off and I have a key fob that is supposed to roll down the windows so that the doors can be opened. Not an ideal system, I plan to put in door poppers, but first I want to get these windows working correctly.

First, the driver door window switch only rolls down the passenger window, the driver window button doesn't operate the driver window. I was told by the previous owner that the driver door window switch was shorted and if I replaced that the window would roll down. I replaced it and there was no change.

Second, The window remote key fob would only roll down the passenger window, I believe because the driver window would not go up or down with the switch, they key fob now does not roll down either window. The passenger window still goes up and down just fine with the interior switch.

When I press the button on the key fob I can hear some clicking from what I believe to be the receiver that sends input to the remote window control module, but the windows do not move.

Here is a picture of the window control module, and here is a picture of the box that I believe is making the clicking; I don't know what that is and I haven't been able to find it on the internet. I assume it receives input from the key fob to tell the window controller to roll them down.

I found that identical window control module on eBay and ordered it. Even if it's not the root problem, the one I have looks like it's on its last leg.

My question is, if you have experience with aftermarket systems like these, could you hypothesize what the heck is going on that's making the windows malfunction? My first thought was this terrible looking wiring job is screwing something up. I'm going to do what I can to replace connections and make it look better. Thanks for reading.

http://www.youtube.com/mrgeo20
-Bagged '98 S10
-Lowered '96 Ranger

-'01 Civic EX Boosted

-'99 Sierra, under construction

First off go over the wiring because it doesnt look good at all..Second see if you can get the resistance loads and voltage that should be going/coming from each terminal on the control boxes. Also check the connection from module to the window motor. check the window motors. You gotta do the once over on the whole system.

try sending power to the drivers side power window directly. unplug molex connector at power window motor and then use two leads (one positive, one negative) and hook them up to the the motor if nothing happens reverse the leads. If nothing still happens then u have a bad power window motor. if the window rolls up and down then u have a faulty switch or wiring issues

Like lightfoot said try manually putting window up and down first to see if it functions correctly! If it does next step I would do is disconnect the window module from the window circuit by placing all the cut window wires back to each other and see if the switch will roll them up and down! If it does the window module most likely is damaged and seeing how poor the connections are and where the module is located could very well have gotten some form of water in it and damaged it! Best thing to do in these situations is remove anything aftermarket placing it back to factory and troubleshoot from there! Let us know your findings

"Custom isn't bought its created"

Archived