Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

aero port size????


Cj Kumz

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey people.I'm planning to build a 6 cubic foot box.That I wanna tune the box to 35hz nd I'm planning on using aeroports..So my question is what size port or ports should I use.And what length..I know that the fomula is 9-12 sq inches per foot but I usually just get mixed up

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz

I live to hear the Bass drop!!!

Posted

The amount of port area needed does not depend on how large your box is, it depends on your driver.

Whether your sub is in 4 cubes or 7 cubes, it will still need X amount of port area.

Check out this calculator:

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Or these formulas:

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=21

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/misc/portcal.htm

And a quick little conversion chart if needed:

http://www.car-fi.com/techcenter/ventconvert.htm

But be forewarned that equations can only get you within + 10% of the actual needed port size. Testing enclosures is the only sure way to get it perfect.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Posted

Ok thanks a lot. The links really helped. I'm going to use the calculators soon... Just out of curiousity would you prefer an aeroport or slotted port and what are your reasons??

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz

I live to hear the Bass drop!!!

Posted

Ok thanks a lot. The links really helped. I'm going to use the calculators soon... Just out of curiousity would you prefer an aeroport or slotted port and what are your reasons??

My preference is for well-flared slot ports. I can make them any size I want so I can get exactly the port area I need, and they cost very little to make.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6112 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...