What to do when your car spins out???

For me, I turn in the direction I'm traveling and hit the gas around half throttle until I feel the wheels get traction. Driving shitty sidestreets in Ohio, in winter, is always interesting.

1999 Honda Civic- RIP

2003 Acura RSX Type-S

Yea turning is one thing. I usually dont even accelerate at all until the car is pointed straight. if it slips try to turn the wheel back some in order to regain control. Otherwise you may keep sliding straight anyway and turning the wheel more usually causes you to lose control more..

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

on a side note, if you dont have anti-lock brakes, a cool experiement is when you are on the highway with no one behind you, slam on the brakes, lock up all four wheels and you can turn left and right all you want and you will just keep going straight.

Thats why you dont use brakes when sliding in snow or on ice.

In a fwd vehicle you need to point the front wheels in the direction you need to go. Also one of the best things to do is ease up on the brakes and if possible completely let off of them. In a rwd vehicle you steer in the direction the rear end is going to counter act it.

you basically just said the same thing twice.

Engine braking is a good way to slow down if you don't have traction. It doesn't completely lock up the tires, so you still have some control over where your car is going. And I totally agree with everyone saying to just go practice. Every car is gonna act different in situations like this, so it really will come down to knowing how your car will respond to certain inputs and whatnot; a lot like car audio really!

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

FWD is kinda tricky because it doesn't handle like a RWD skid at all. You don't have tires putting power into the skid to keep it going or like force the back end around. So it's like yes steer into the skid (i.e, your back end slides right, so you steer right to straighten out) but just be ready to snap the wheel back left or straighten it out because the back end won't just keep walking unless you pull the hand brake. your best bet would be to find an open and safe space, get up to like 10 to 15 MPH (maybe less) and pull and hold the hand brake (wouldn't suggest letting go or releasing the button as it will lock up) and just steer with the skid to learn how your car controls. again it might not be the same as just driving and skidding bc your back end won't just wanna keep going while just driving but it will still help.

an that is why you put your car in neutral with a rwd vehicle. But most people dont have the presence of mind to do that when the time comes.

Well sometimes it helps to use the throttle while sliding in RWD. Or at least to me it seems I can use the power to help walk the skid a bit and get my wheels back in line in a much smoother fashion then just lifting totally and yanking the wheel back. But maybe that's just me lol as long as you stay safe and control your vehicle hey to each his own. Definitely don't wanna sound like the cocky punk kid who thinks he knows it all because I certainly don't and I've had my close calls but I always seem to get out of any situation I'm in safely so I thank who or w.e helps me do that.

Archived