What to do when your car spins out???

Like the title says, what is it exactly that your suppossed to do when your car starts to spin? I dont remember exactly, I thought it was that you are supposed to turn WITH the spin.. but that doesnt logically seem right... idk.

Heres what happened:

2010 Elantra FWD

Driving home, roads are terrible. Im going pretty slow, 25mph or so. The car has bad tires, which I will be replacing on the 7tn when I get paid. Been price check for about 2 weeks before hand now. So Ive made the hour drive home from work just literally around the corner, 45 sec away from home. Ive negotiated several bad roads well, I noticed that the car struggles severely going up hill, I do my best to keep it in shape and progress slowly.

Anyway, going straight, downhill, about to turn onto my street in ~100 yds, going ~15mph. I put my blinker on early to prep for a slow turn.. so going straight not accelerating, all the sudden the back end comes completely out to the right. So I did what I could, and managed to not completely spin but I did carry into the other lane. Thank God no one was there. I ended up hitting curb as I stopped, perpendicular to the curb.

I consider myself to be an above average winter driver, and I was just thinking to myself, what could have i done better? What is that saying again? turn with or against... Im happy I didnt start spinning crazily, but I was scary going into the other lane, what if someone was there..

I suppose I shoulda bought tires a little earlier.. :/ thankfully no harm.

Just wondering, thanks for the advice.

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Go to a bare parking lot when theres snow and drift to learn how to correctly maneuver without over/under steering. I usually drift everywhere I go if theres nobody around, that way if you actually get into a real sliding situation you wont panic and can easily get out of it.

7w1lnOR.jpg

2004 Bagged Trailblazer

(4)18" Sundown Nsv3s
(4) Taramps HD10000s, Taramps DSP3000, Lanzar opti 250x2, AB 100x4
(2)DC power SP 270s, (14)XS Power d3100s, (1)d6500

When in a skid, it is always best to turn against the skid and towards the direction the car is traveling ( steer towards the direction the car is traveling and away from the direction it is actually pointing)

If you have room, sometimes lightly accelerating wheel steering opposite the direction of the skid can pull a front wheel drive car back to the straight position. Just make sure that you don't use too much throttle, you want the tires to only be spinning ever so slightly then they would under normal coasting.

Hope this helps!

Echoing what others have said: Turn with the car, don't brake - you'll slide and lose any chance of regaining control.

Best bet is to learn how to control your car so that it's second nature. In the time it takes you to think about what to do, you will have already spun out uncontrollably. Gotta get muscle memory. Find a parking lot and go at it. It's fun too :P

I know this doesn't contribute at all, but when I read this title I was like dudes probably from chicago with the snow we got right now, and I was right! (Im near chicago). Yeah do what Socalbamf said. I make my car slide when it snows when theres no cars around, so I'm fine when it happens. Like he said go to a parking lot and just practice manuvers

I close my eyes throw my hands in the air and yell Jesus take the wheel. Lol jk. For real though best thing to do for practice is find a big open parking lot and lose control on purpose and try to regain it pretty soon you will be a pro at it. The worst thing to do once you start sliding is keep your foot on the brakes if you do you will never get control back just accept you are not gonna make the turn get control and go to the next street. I would much rather go one street further than try to make the turn anyways and slam into something. Also I slide around almost every corner in the snow as long as no one is coming. Now go hit that parking lot and have a blast.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Yea ive driven several cars through tough midwest winters and feel decently confident about it. I didnt panic or anything and usually can make the small adjustments necessary to regain full control.

I guess I wasnt anticipating any issues especially going straight, slow, and in control.

Then all the sudden the back end doesnt even so much as wiggle, just completely comes all the way out.

By that time im in full damage control mode like ok here we go. I guess I shoulda acted quicker.

And going somewhere and purposely spinning around.. im not a fan of. Something stupid always happens.

Good info though. Thanks everyone

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

I'm up near Orland Park area and this year was my first time driving in snow, couple weeks back when I left work I was pulling out of an intersection and gave it to much gas (i guess) and started sliding towards the curb/guard rail, at that point I let off the gas and made sure not to slam on my brakes, and shit myself lol So I am tuned into this thread to see all the tips and improve my driving in the snow:)

sig_zps1a8d8f11.jpg

Archived