Sundown Audio

Stetsom Amps

jmsonoma03

MMATs makes no claims that amp can be used continuously for daily applications:

"After several months of testing and tuning we have released a true 4000 Wrms competitor only amplifier"

It is not intended to do that much power daily -- if you tried I imagine you would run into thermal issues.

Let me correct myself. The 4000 is modified 3500.1 so probably was not the best example. With that said what makes the 3500.1/3500.5 do almost 3krms so well since it's sold as a daily music amp?

i just heard today that stetsom is going to put out a 8000w and a10,000w amp out in a couple months.

You got 1 of those right, it called the 8K and the other will be called the 12K, the 8K will also be 12V :blink: ooooweeee, I can't wait.

2007 1st West Coast Regional Champ S/Max 157.3Db

2008 1st West Coast Regional Champ S/Max 158.8Db

2009 160db is my Goal!!!

Stetsom's West Coast Rep

Team Stetsom

will the 8k replace the 7k? also will the price of the 8k be comparable to the 7k?.

Aloha

yeah i wish, it will replace the 7K but the price will not be the same, there is only going to be a couple of peices out in SBN, but it won't be ready for everyone else until june or july. i'll be waiting :)

2009 160db is my Goal!!!

Stetsom's West Coast Rep

Team Stetsom

I got a little first hand experience today with a Stetsom 7kd at a competition today. The vehicle was an ext cab Ranger w/ a wall of 6 DD 3515s powered by a single 7kd @ 0.25ohm & 16volts. With 8 powermaster 16v batteries being used voltage fell from 17.2 to 15.7, impedance rise went up to 1.22ohms, and the amplifier produced 5100watts (and got very hot doing so). This was an off the shelf 7kd and was completely unmodified w/ a single 1/0 power and ground coming straight off the battery bank. It was said that the amplifier just wasn't getting the power it needed to produce its rated output and that more batteries were needed to help with voltage drop. It was also stated that this amplifier will not run daily in a setup like this. The vehicle hit 157.9db.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

nice #.. was that bass race? :) what was it tuned for?, damn that's crazy for all those woofers, thanks for the info you got me thinking on a new project for bass race. :)

2009 160db is my Goal!!!

Stetsom's West Coast Rep

Team Stetsom

I got a little first hand experience today with a Stetsom 7kd at a competition today. The vehicle was an ext cab Ranger w/ a wall of 6 DD 3515s powered by a single 7kd @ 0.25ohm & 16volts. With 8 powermaster 16v batteries being used voltage fell from 17.2 to 15.7, impedance rise went up to 1.22ohms, and the amplifier produced 5100watts (and got very hot doing so). This was an off the shelf 7kd and was completely unmodified w/ a single 1/0 power and ground coming straight off the battery bank. It was said that the amplifier just wasn't getting the power it needed to produce its rated output and that more batteries were needed to help with voltage drop. It was also stated that this amplifier will not run daily in a setup like this. The vehicle hit 157.9db.

Something was really wrong then. It shouldn't get hot at all for burps at .25ohms. If he's playing music then that might be a problem. I get 4800w out of a single 7kd at .25 rise to .9ohm on a single 12v NSB90 and over 6k on two NSB90's. And after testing for 4 hours the amps don't get much warmer than room temp. If you know this guy have him contact me and I'll help him figure out his problem.

• 1 year later...

Sure is nice SMD keeps all this available almost 2 years for later reading!

Well in time we found out the deal with the amps, was funny reading posts were people repped them hard!

Then After we saw so many smoke, tunes got changed! Don't know but 1 or 2 using stetsom to compete on west coast.

FWIW stetsoms don't like voltage over 14.4!

Sure is nice SMD keeps all this available almost 2 years for later reading!

Well in time we found out the deal with the amps, was funny reading posts were people repped them hard!

Then After we saw so many smoke, tunes got changed! Don't know but 1 or 2 using stetsom to compete on west coast.

FWIW stetsoms don't like voltage over 14.4!

They've gotta be modded to run high voltage. Otherwise the rail voltage exceeds the Vdss on the output MOSFETs and they go KPOW POP BOOM.

Also I'm pretty sure on one of mine the board shorted out on the heatsink in the output section.

They do put out a stupidly large amount of power too :)

EDIT: Funny reading back through this thread... things like this:

"Their output transistors are the same size and quantity as the Sundown 1500d. 1500d uses parts similar to most 2500watt amps. The 7kd uses parts similar to 2500 watt amps. so when you surpass 2500 watts for a prolonged period they get hot as hell and the outputstage starts to fuck up: in other words you will have crispy fets :eek:"

Considering this was coming from MegaloManiac it's a bit of a fail... Korean amps mostly use IRFP360LC which has NOTHING on the IRFP90N20Ds in a Stetsom.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Archived